Thank you, Veterans!

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
Thank you, Veterans!
« on: November 11, 2014, 06:58:34 AM »
Veterans Day is a time when we honor those who have exhibited selfless service and sacrifice for our Nation and our way of life. 

I'd like to take some time to say thank you for your service to every veteran, and their families who also sacrifice much in the name of our country.  You made daily sacrifices for the sake of serving America and your fellow citizens.  I am proud to have served our country, our families, and our freedom, and I know you are too.  This day allows us to recognize and appreciate those who have served to protect our lifestyles and freedoms, as well as remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice; those who never came home.  We remember and honor our teammates who sacrificed their lives in defense of freedom, and we honor their families who remain behind.  Please think about, and pray for, our wounded warriors who bear the scars of combat and those who bear mental scars as veterans.  I ask you to pause today, Veterans Day, and remember our veterans.  Thank every one that you can find.  Go out of your way to do it.  We never asked for any thanks when we made the commitment to our country, our citizens, and our freedoms.  But your appreciation is very welcome.

To every man and woman who preserved our liberty this year, and for all who have ever proudly worn our Nation's uniform, join me in a resounding, Thank you!

The following is an excerpt from a published public letter from Kyle-Ann Shiver.  I have reproduced the paragraphs that I wished to say, but that she said so much more eloquently than I could.

For the dozens of freedoms that we ordinary citizens have enjoyed every single day of our lives in America, we are grateful to you.  We take it all for granted, you know, and only express our thanks one day a year.  I'm ashamed of that, truly ashamed.

We hardly ever stop to even consider the sacrifices you have made and are making this very day in far away places, with scant comfort, if any at all, and yet you don't complain.  You just continue to serve and give and demonstrate genuine love for us every day.  Day in and day out.  In danger.  In fatigue.  In strange places all over the world.  We are more indebted to you than we will ever even comprehend.

And it is also true, that unless one has been in battle, one does not truly understand the depth of your passion for liberty.  To families that have borne no soldiers, you are an enigma.  To cowards, you are a shaming presence, a constant reminder of their weakness.  To your parents, you represent both the mountaintop of pride, and the deepest valley of concern that mothers and fathers can ever know.  And to most of us ordinary citizens, you are the unseen, under-appreciated protectors of all that we hold dear.

I have lived in America all my life, and every single night when I have laid my head upon my pillow, you were somewhere watching over my safety.  For every single one of those nights of peaceful rest, I simply say, "Thank you!"

You serve and fight for the greatest Nation in the history of civilization.  There has never been a grievous wrong that good Americans have not sought to rectify.  There has never been a just cause on which America has turned her back for long.  You, our soldiers, have been and continue to be, the greatest force for freedom and human rights ever gathered.  You have raised our flag around the world, not for domination, but to bring greater liberty and a better way of life.  You are the reason America remains a beacon of hope to the entire world.     

You seek neither glory nor riches, nor even fame.  You are our best, our brightest, our bravest.  Please always know that even when we don't show it, we love you.  We appreciate you.  We thank you.  And we will never forget you or forsake you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:34:35 PM by Don Desfosse »
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
Thank you, Veterans!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:50:40 AM »
Veterans are the strength of our nation. We owe them a staggering debt, throughout the history of this country.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 08:51:16 AM by Tom Seeley »
Tom Seeley
Deputy Director (Retired), VATUSA

Kevin Copeland

• Members
    • View Profile
Thank you, Veterans!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »
In war, there are lives risked and lives taken. Men and women giving their best to defend what they love. They defend their country, their honor, their people. Our veterans have risked their lives for us, they have lived through hell and fought with honor. For those who have died, we owe great appreciation and remembrance. For those who live, along with them live the horrific memories of of battle.
Our veterans were more than soldiers, they were and will always be heroes.

Happy Veterans day to all my fellow veterans, and THANK YOU!!
Kevin Copeland
VATSIM Supervisor

Camden Bruno

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
Thank you, Veterans!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 12:00:41 PM »
Just arrived home from my towns Veterans Day Parade. Great way to honor those who have served the country, and on such a beautiful day! Thank you to the men and women who are currently serving and those who have served in the past.

Happy Veterans Day to all!

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
Thank you, Veterans!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 01:47:57 PM »
As a very dear friend used to remind me whenever we picked up a glass,

There aren't many who can do what we do
There aren't many who will do what we do
So here's to us and those like us
......damn few left

Here's to those of you who are left  [lifts glass]
Ira Robinson

Kenneth Bambach

• Members
    • View Profile
Thank you, Veterans!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »
A shame that we only have one official day per year called Veterans Day.  In that we owe our way of life "every day" to our Veterans, we need to remain ever cognizant of that fact each and every day. To all those who have ever served, and those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our great nation, a sincere and heartfelt "THANK YOU".
Ken Bambach
ZMA ATM

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
Thank you, Veterans!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 07:47:13 PM »
Saying "thank you" will never be enough, it doesn't bring those lost back, it doesn't heal the pain so many have, and it doesn't repay the sacrifice so many have made, but it is the least we can do, so thank you all. Words can't describe the amount of respect I have for those who serve this great country.

You too Don, thank you for your service!
Ryan Parry - 965346
Pilot Central

Colin Schoen

• Members
    • View Profile
Thank you, Veterans!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 11:59:53 PM »
Thank you to every person who has been in harms way in sacrifice for this country.
Colin Schoen
VATSIM Membership Manager
VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: Thank you, Veterans!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 11:13:44 PM »
Another year has gone by, but the words, sentiments, and deep-rooted appreciation is the same.  Thank you to all who have served, continue to serve, and will one day serve to protect our country, our families, and our freedoms.  Every man, woman and child in and/or from the United States of America owe you a great debt of gratitude.  All gave some, and some gave all.  THANK YOU, VETERANS!
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA