What Simulator

Mark Hubbert

• Members
    • View Profile
What Simulator
« on: March 09, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
I have been using FS9 for years, I am behind everybody else because I am still using it.  My reasons, it is stable, I have a ton of payware that would be useless if I switch.  But with the support for FS9 dwindling and the lack of new products and updates I have been contemplating switching.  Trying to get an idea of what simulator to do?

FSX?
Prepare 3D?
X-Plane?
Others that I have not heard of?

So which one is better?
I would intend to buy good realistic aircraft and sceneries possibly a good weather generator.  Which one is a stable platform and which one is not.  Please let me know.
Mark Hubbert
Division Director VATUSA Retired

Sergio Lopez

• Members
    • View Profile
    • vZMA ARTCC
Re: What Simulator
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »
Mark, I personally prefer P3D over anything else. Most FSX addons are compatible across. Some companies will make you purchase a separate license for P3D.

As far as I see, scenery is where the money is spent the most. If you don't care much about it, then I would recommend just getting the following:

P3D
Active Sky 2016
Payware plane you will be flying the hell out of.

These are the essentials, everything else pretty much falls under the scenery category. And it's all up to you which areas you would like to have updated and looking nice.
Sergio Lopez
AIT at vZMA ARTCC
Follow us on Twitter!
The "Live" in Miami Live!

Josh Glottmann

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:38:54 AM »
Here are my brief thoughts (I might expand later).

FSX - it's going to eventually become outdated. It's a years old software that is not being updated and has significant limitations.

P3D - essentially a redo of FSX. It's still not 64 bit but it is being developed. In terms of add-ons, you're covered unless you want to fly Airbus (aside from the A320) or regional jets. In terms of graphics, everything can be made to look really good. With that said, it's a lot less plug and play than X-Plane. For VATSIM, this is your best bet because vPilot is still being actively developed and improved.

X-Plane - I've been an X-Plane user since v9. 10 looked good, and 11 looks amazing. If you want your sim to look amazing from the start, go for X-Plane. It's still being developed. For VATSIM, xSquawkBox is lacking - but hopefully swift will solve that. Payware aircraft in X-Plane are hit or miss. Most of the new stuff is really really good (FlightFactor 767 is better than PMDG IMO) and well rounded. If you like flying GA, I think X-Plane is where you want to go. Flying X-Plane feels more like flying a plane than P3D/FSX. Most addons from v10 are compatible with v11 without any changes at all.

I have used all three platforms, and I think X-Plane is the best sim nowadays.

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:30:32 AM »
Well, what we really need to know is your computer specs. We can all suggest any of the three all day long but if your computer can't handle it then it is a pointless switch to make.

That said, I'm going to recommend P3D, but I am also going to say wait a little bit longer for two reasons. First, P3D is going to be 64bit in V4, and that's confirmed. Second, it's worth seeing what comes of the Dovetail Games flight simulator which will also be 64bit. If the DTG sim isn't too bad you can avoid paying the ridiculous price hike for addons when they come out.

There is XP11 but I have mixed emotions on that. It's 64bit, you can make it look great, the physics are extremely realistic, but the addons are lacking and I don't know if they'll ever really be what we have in P3D/FSX.
Ryan Parry - 965346
Pilot Central

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:31:34 AM »
I use FSX SP2 primarily.   I own X-Plane 9.   I'm going to buy version 11 when I finish decking out my computer.
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

Mark Hubbert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 10:16:08 PM »
Appreciate the responses.

What sort of addons are there for Aircraft - Prepare3d and XPLane

What are the good ones and the ones to stay away from?
Mark Hubbert

Josh Glottmann

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 12:52:26 AM »
Boeing
FlightFactor 757, 767, 777 - 757 and 767 are insane. 777 is old but still pretty good. Advanced FMC, good 3D cockpit, movable external objects.
FlyJSim 727 and 732 - both are great.
SSG 748 - from what I've heard it's pretty good.
I would stay away from the 787.

Airbus
FlightFactor A350 - click. It's awesome.
JarDesign A320 and A330 - both are really good, I would recommend A330 over A320.
I would not recommend anything by Peter's hanger.

I was going to go on, but I realized the list would be too long. Checkout the store. It has almost everything sold for X-Plane with detailed descriptions and screenshots. For extremely detailed reviews, checkout XPlaneReviews.

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with X-Plane. And if it weren't for XSB being outdated (but still 100% usable), I think many more VATSIM users would be using XP. It's aesthetically pleasing, realistic to physics, still being constantly developed, and has great payware (and freeware).

Oh - and weather. XPGFS NOAA Weather plugin is really accurate. It's a lot more lightweight than ActiveSky, but is far better than any freeware weather engine. I haven't been following the development since 2015, but from what I've heard, all the kinks from back then have been ironed out and the plugin significantly improved.

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:05 AM »
For P3D you've got...

Boeing - PMDG 737NGX, PMDG 777, PMDG 747v3 (just came out), TFDi 717, Milviz B732

Airbus - Aerosoft A32X series, FSL A320 (sorta hyper realistic), Aerosoft A330 (in dev but almost done)
Stay away from Black Box.

Others - Majestic Dash 8 Q400, FlySimWare LearJet 35, A2A has realistic GA stuff and Carenado has nice looking but not realistic flying GA stuff, both of which pair great with the Flight 1 GTN.

I know you were a big fan of the PMDG MD11, so I know you'll enjoy the other PMDG products, and if you still want to fly those Fedex flights you'll like the PMDG 777. They're pricey for P3D though.
Ryan Parry - 965346
Pilot Central

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 03:09:15 PM »
Which license version of P3D is everyone talking about? 
Ira Robinson

Russell DeSpain

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 03:26:34 PM »
Which license version of P3D is everyone talking about?

The academic and professional versions are essentially the same. The only thing that's truly different about them is one is meant for educational use and the other is meant for commercial purposes.
Russell DeSpain
ZID Facilities Engineer - C1
VATSIM P1 Pilot

Mark Hubbert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 06:51:47 PM »
I know you were a big fan of the PMDG MD11

Somebody that truly knows me.   :o

Again many thanks for the advice.
Mark Hubbert

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 08:40:49 PM »
Keep in mind RE: P3D, the EULA doesn't permit use for "entertainment" purposes.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 07:04:48 AM »
The good news is that we all learn something (educational) every time we fly, right?
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Sergio Lopez

• Members
    • View Profile
    • vZMA ARTCC
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 08:41:10 AM »
The good news is that we all learn something (educational) every time we fly, right?

Yep.
Sergio Lopez
AIT at vZMA ARTCC
Follow us on Twitter!
The "Live" in Miami Live!

Chad Schrieber

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 05:48:21 PM »
You all have me wishing I'd paid a little more attention to what I was getting into when I bought FSX.  I'm finding it functional (with problems, posted in another thread) but the age surprised me.  I somehow did not find x-plane when I was looking.