ARTCC Selection

Ed Sammarco

• Members
    • View Profile
ARTCC Selection
« on: October 03, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Just passed the initial ARTCC test and now need to select an ARTCC for training.  Anyone have any suggestions as to selecting an ARTCC?  Should I assume a Chicago, DFW or NY would have more activity?  Appreciate any "logical" rationale...other than you work there

Gary Millsaps

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
ARTCC Selection
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:52:37 AM »
Hi Ed,

Any one of the ARTCCs in the division would be a great location to enjoy the controller-side of our hobby...and remember, it's NOT just about the level of traffic. I recommend you talk to the members of several ARTCCs to get a feel for the "atmosphere" before making a selection.

Bruce Clingan

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.classbravosa.com
ARTCC Selection
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »
Quote from: Gary Millsaps
Hi Ed,

Any one of the ARTCCs in the division would be a great location to enjoy the controller-side of our hobby...and remember, it's NOT just about the level of traffic. I recommend you talk to the members of several ARTCCs to get a feel for the "atmosphere" before making a selection.

Gary is right there is a lot more than just traffic volume.  Chances are that if you go to one of the really busy ARTCCs it will take a substantial more time to get trained and up and running, and the level of traffic you see on a daily basis may not be even that much more.

Finding a place to me is about the atmosphere, and friendship.  There are times that my friends I've met on the network are some of the first people I talk to when I just want a chance to vent, or an opinion about an important decision and to me that is worth much more than traffic volume.

Brendan Lynch

• Members
    • View Profile
ARTCC Selection
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 05:00:38 PM »
I just went with the one I live in.  If you are on a border like me, ZTL and ZDC, I went with ZTL because my home airport is CLT, and to control there means ZTL.

SIMAF87