Weird Situation

Scott Johnson

• Members
    • View Profile
Weird Situation
« on: October 14, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
I have recently returned to VATUSA after a long absence ... recent changes in my career have suddenly afforded me some free time again, which is a happy thing for my family and my hobbies.

I have been with VATSIM a while ... since it was SATCO, in fact ... and I still hold a C1 rating, but I am having trouble getting reassigned to an ARTCC.  I've been on ZTL's site and can't find an application.  I've been on VATUSA's site, where they tell me there's a thing called an ARTCC Transfer Form under the My VATUSA menu.  It's not there, at least for me.

I even went to the link that says "Become a controller."  That made things worse.  Even though my header on the site still shows I'm a C1, it's asking me to take the Basic ATC exam all over again.  That's no problem -- but I'm afraid that if I do, it'll reset me to a student rank or something, and I don't want to do that.

Any hints here?  Am I missing something crucial, and will I want to slap my forehead when I find out how obvious it was?

I could use some help here.  I know my way around an airplane, having been a R/W commercial pilot for years, but the new VATUSA is making me feel like I left the rotating beacon on in pea soup fog...

Scott

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Weird Situation
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
Hey Scott,

Go here for support.

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
Weird Situation
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »
Scott,

You will need to take the VATUSA Basic exam in order to get started again, to my knowledge. The website was essentially designed to only show you the links that you can actually use, so my guess is that the test is there for a reason. You will never have your controller rating taken away, in fact nobody can take any rating away that you have earned (except for I-1 and above).

Once you pass the basic exam you will be able to select the ARTCC of your choice. Hope that helps!

Scott Johnson

• Members
    • View Profile
Weird Situation
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 01:36:52 PM »
Quote from: Alex Bailey
Scott,

You will need to take the VATUSA Basic exam in order to get started again, to my knowledge. The website was essentially designed to only show you the links that you can actually use, so my guess is that the test is there for a reason. You will never have your controller rating taken away, in fact nobody can take any rating away that you have earned (except for I-1 and above).

Once you pass the basic exam you will be able to select the ARTCC of your choice. Hope that helps!

Yep, that was it.  All taken care of now.  Thanks! (Thanks also to Andrew who filled in the blanks for me.)

Scott