vPilot saying incorrect CID/Password - Help!

Fredric Greenblott

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: January 11, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »
Hello,

I joined VATSIM yesterday and when I try to log in to vPilot, and press "Connect" when FSX is running, it keeps saying "Invalid CID/password. Disconnected from network." It not only happens on vPilot, but on the main VATSIM forums as well. I was able to log in to VATUSA, but nowhere else. What do I do???

Josh Glottmann

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Re: vPilot saying incorrect CID/Password - Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 06:00:38 PM »
Welcome to VATSIM Fredric!
Can you please make sure that you manually typed out both the PID and Password when connecting to vPilot?
A common error when connecting is that you copy and paste the information from the signup email, leading to an extra character being copied in and thus prohibiting you from logging in.

Fredric Greenblott

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 06:10:52 PM »
Welcome to VATSIM Fredric!
Can you please make sure that you manually typed out both the PID and Password when connecting to vPilot?
A common error when connecting is that you copy and paste the information from the signup email, leading to an extra character being copied in and thus prohibiting you from logging in.

Yes, I made sure I directly typed it.

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 07:15:36 PM »
First thing to do is to have your password resent to you via the forgot password link, you would be surprised how many problems this solves.

https://cert.vatsim.net/vatsimnet/statcheck.html

It's also possible however unlikely (due to the fact you logged in here) that the server had not updated yet.

If you can not log in using PID and password by tomorrow morning i would open up a help ticket with membership.

https://www.vatsim.net/members/member-help
Matt Bartels - MT
VP Marketing and Communication
VATSIM Board of Governors

Jacob Perez

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 07:17:04 PM »
Welcome Fredric!! even though you can log in to the VATUSA website, it can take a while for the information to update everywhere, please give it another 24 hours and let us know if you can not log in still and we will see what we can do.
Jacob Perez - JP
I1 | ZJX Events Coordinator | ZJX Asst. Training Administrator

John Combs

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 03:37:00 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Being a long time member of VATSIM, but inactive for a few years, I had to upgrade a few things before getting back online and vPilot was one of them. Like pulling very long teeth!

Anyway, after updating dot net framework to 4.2.7 and dealing with the certificates error, I got vPilot 2 installed for a host and remote setup. Went through all the settings, got my VATSIM email with my username & password again too be sure, then entered that into the vPilot host and remote. Sadly, I kept getting the brief connect/disconnect error, even though I typed in my credentials several times.

Furthermore, I could log into VATSIM through the website and such, but not through vPilot no matter what. So, using notepad I looked at the vPilotConfig.xml file located in the C:\Users\your computers name\AppData\Local\vPilot and behold, found the error. The password shown was not what I typed in repeatedly, instead it was a mix of characters pulled out of the air somewhere.

Thus, I replaced the password with mine and saved the xml file, and then tried vPilot Host. It connected without anymore issues!!! HOORAY!

Maybe, this is a well know problem by now, but here I am in 2020 commenting on a 2016 forum post and yet, this still exists. For anyone having this happen, check your vpilotconfig.xml on the host computer before you go crazy like I did...lol!

John

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 06:44:59 PM »
If I may suggest, this is a more common problem than you would think. And the error is always somewhere in the entering of the password.  You must remember that the network is case sensitive, so you must key in the password carefully.  And of course you have to make sure that you don't confuse letters and numbers.  A lower case l (el) and an upper case I (eye) and the number 1 all look very similar. So enter them carefully.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 04:00:19 AM by Blake Nahin »
Ira Robinson

Dave Sell

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 06:33:50 PM »
Just wanted to chime in here and say that Mr. Combs fix of editing the XML also fixed my problem of not connecting. As i was also a prior Vatsim user who recently reactivated , I suspect that for whatever reason the XML fails to update our newest password, and instead keeps the old, outdated password.

Hope it helps anyone else

Ross Carlson

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 11:39:45 PM »
I suspect that there's more to this story ... if you correctly type your new password into the vPilot settings, it will update the XML. That code is untouched since the very first version of vPilot, and if there was a problem with it, I would have known about it years ago.

If you edit the vPilotConfig.xml file and put your password in there in plain text (normally it is encrypted, which is what John Combs described as "a mix of characters pulled out of the air somewhere") then vPilot will encrypt it and re-save the XML. This is exactly what happens if you type the password correctly into the vPilot settings window.