Linked Events

• VatVenture 2018: July 28, 2018

vZAU VatVenture 2018

Jawaun Magee

• Members
    • View Profile
vZAU VatVenture 2018
« on: July 05, 2018, 09:26:12 PM »

Back by popular demand, the Chicago ARTCC proudly presents VatVenture 2018! To celebrate the EAA AirVenture event, the controllers of Chicago will be staffing up KOSH in Oshkosh, Wisconsin on Saturday, July 28th from 1700z - 2100z. We invite everyone to bring out their aircraft and have some great summer fun!

NOTAMS FOR KOSH VATVENTURE EVENT BELOW PLEASE READ:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y2dZw9BN9UK8whylyajv80SlFh1yQe3zLr6WgLzs9So/edit?ts=5b52c04d

Special Guest: FSX Blue Angels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0_iDMhZn18

There is scenery available for FSX at http://www.theskylounge.tv/files/file/39-fsxa-oshkosh-airventure-2016-kosh/ .  You must register for the site to download.  Includes the color spots and other features.  Also works fine in P3Dv4. 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:01:29 PM by Jamar Finch »
Jawaun Magee
Deputy Air Traffic Manager
vZAU - Chicago ARTCC

Nick Warren

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: vZAU VatVenture 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »
There is scenery available for FSX at http://www.theskylounge.tv/files/file/39-fsxa-oshkosh-airventure-2016-kosh/ .  You must register for the site to download.  Includes the color spots and other features.  Also works fine in P3Dv4. 

Jawaun Magee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:01:52 PM »
Thanks Nick
Jawaun Magee
Deputy Air Traffic Manager
vZAU - Chicago ARTCC

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:07:43 PM »

Thomas Harbauer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
Here's an X-Plane 11 KOSH scenery: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/42118-kosh-wittman-regional-eaa-airventure/

Required Libraries:

OpenSceneryX
3D People Library
R2 Library
FJS Library
RD_Library
PM Library
FF Library
GT Library
MisterX6 Library
Handy Objects Library
JB_Library
BS2001 library
RuScenery
US Treelines & Farms?
World Models Library

Sven Morley

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:54:13 PM »
Darnit, I can only make the last hour. Any idea on when the Blue Angels are preforming?

Lucas Kakert

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ztlartcc.org
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »
so what happens if i want to fly in at 2102z?
Luke Kakert
Air Traffic Manager Emeritus | Atlanta Center (ZTL) ARTCC
[email protected]

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
LOL Special accommodations for the ATM LOL.
That's funny.But I am not an ATM, and neither are the other 675 people who have viewed this announcement and may be flying in or out that day.  I think Luke asks a valid question and deserves to be answered.  What will happen to the pilots waiting to depart?  What will happen to the pilots already in the air?  The NOTAM said pilots should expect delays.  Does that mean arriving flights, should expect to be assigned a HOLD some time during their arrival?

Was the flying demonstration in the original announcement?  I don't remember seeing it and I noticed that the post was edited on Monday.  Was this added after the original announcement was first posted?

There are a lot of questions that I think need to be asked here.  For example, how are people supposed to be able to see this demonstration you have planned?  Will everyone have to be using vPilot and model matching in order to see it?  Sign on to utube or something?  Like I said, I think there are a lot of questions to be asked still.
Ira Robinson

Clay Brock

• ZHU Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
That's funny.But I am not an ATM, and neither are the other 675 people who have viewed this announcement and may be flying in or out that day.  I think Luke asks a valid question and deserves to be answered.  What will happen to the pilots waiting to depart?  What will happen to the pilots already in the air?  The NOTAM said pilots should expect delays.  Does that mean arriving flights, should expect to be assigned a HOLD some time during their arrival?
I asked Luke personally if he was joking about this question on teamspeak, and relayed his response to Jamar before he made the "ATM Exemption" post:

<14:35:45> "Clay Brock": on your last post for the OSH event
<14:35:52> "Clay Brock": were you kidding?
<14:35:57> "Luke Kakert": yes lol
<14:36:04> "Clay Brock": ok
<14:36:23> "Clay Brock": sorry, just the sarcasm doesn't come across as easily in writing
<14:36:49> "Luke Kakert": but i am 100% sure there are going to be people that wont like the "airport is closed" part
<14:36:55> "Luke Kakert": i was just trying to be funny
<14:37:06> "Luke Kakert": and alot of people cant take a joke on here anymore

I do see the validity in the question though , so here is the answer, as stated previously:
KOSH airport will close to traffic at 2100z, and the FSX Blue Angels will start their modified demo at that time.

Out of respect to the FSX Blue Angels, we will not allow pilots to depart or arrive KOSH until the demonstration is over. Unless an emergency is declared, KOSH will be closed for the duration of the FSXBA demo. Pilots will have 4 whole hours to fly in with ATC, and if they cannot make the airport in that amount of time, then they will have to divert, or reconnect on the ground at OSH to watch the demonstration.

In regards these final questions:
how are people supposed to be able to see this demonstration you have planned?  Will everyone have to be using vPilot and model matching in order to see it?  Sign on to utube or something?

Pilots will be able to see the FSX Blue Angel demo by being connected to VATSIM on the ground at KOSH. No specific pilot client is required to watch the demonstration, but model matching will be at the pilot's discretion. As far as I'm aware, the FSXBA team will connect to the network under the type code "F18". People can set up model matching as necessary using this information.
Note that FSX vPilot users should not encounter model matching issues, as FSX has a default F18, and vPilot uses airplanes in the sim for model matching

I hope this post clears up most of the confusion, and if there are any other questions, please feel free to ask.
Clay Brock (CB) - 1299667

Jakob Kruse

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 06:48:33 PM »
Osh Kosh cannot be closed per VATSIM guidelines. As Ryan put it, out of respect (CoC A.1) for their group, we ask that you park up on the grass and enjoy the show, just as pilots in the real world would do. If you would like to fly into the airport during that time, that's your decision to interrupt the hard work of your fellow pilots and members of the community.

Jakob Kruse
vZAU Air Traffic Manager
[email protected]

Ryan Pitt

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 07:45:46 PM »
I mean I guess you can't close it, but you can hold aircraft due to the Blue Angel traffic.
Ryan Pitt
ZKC C1

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 07:52:16 PM »

I asked Luke personally if he was joking about this question on teamspeak, and relayed his response to Jamar before he made the "ATM Exemption" post:

<14:35:45> "Clay Brock": on your last post for the OSH event
<14:35:52> "Clay Brock": were you kidding?
<14:35:57> "Luke Kakert": yes lol
<14:36:04> "Clay Brock": ok
<14:36:23> "Clay Brock": sorry, just the sarcasm doesn't come across as easily in writing
<14:36:49> "Luke Kakert": but i am 100% sure there are going to be people that wont like the "airport is closed" part
<14:36:55> "Luke Kakert": i was just trying to be funny
<14:37:06> "Luke Kakert": and alot of people cant take a joke on here anymore

I do see the validity in the question though , so here is the answer, as stated previously:

KOSH airport will close to traffic at 2100z, and the FSX Blue Angels will start their modified demo at that time.

Out of respect to the FSX Blue Angels, we will not allow pilots to depart or arrive KOSH until the demonstration is over. Unless an emergency is declared, KOSH will be closed for the duration of the FSXBA demo. Pilots will have 4 whole hours to fly in with ATC, and if they cannot make the airport in that amount of time, then they will have to divert, or reconnect on the ground at OSH to watch the demonstration.

In regards these final questions:

how are people supposed to be able to see this demonstration you have planned?  Will everyone have to be using vPilot and model matching in order to see it?  Sign on to utube or something?

Pilots will be able to see the FSX Blue Angel demo by being connected to VATSIM on the ground at KOSH. No specific pilot client is required to watch the demonstration, but model matching will be at the pilot's discretion. As far as I'm aware, the FSXBA team will connect to the network under the type code "F18". People can set up model matching as necessary using this information.
Note that FSX vPilot users should not encounter model matching issues, as FSX has a default F18, and vPilot uses airplanes in the sim for model matching

I hope this post clears up most of the confusion, and if there are any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Oh, I have a lot more questions, but they will keep until after the event.  And they will be asked of the staff of ZAU.  You know, the people who are ultimately responsible for the event, and not some visiting controller who has taken it upon himself to interpret for the rest of us what the rules of the event are.

Good luck Saturday.
Ira Robinson

Sven Morley

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 08:58:07 PM »
Thanks for the information! That means I'll be able to watch :)

Clay Brock

• ZHU Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »
I was unaware of any VATSIM rules prohibiting the closure of airspace during my prior posts, and I am sorry for adding to the confusion of this thread.
Ryan said it the best: "Out of respect (CoC A.1) for their group, we ask that you park up on the grass and enjoy the show, just as pilots in the real world would do."

For those who are wondering why I am so involved in this post, let me explain:

On July 2nd, in the event forum, Nick Warren asked if there would be an Oshkosh 2018 event. After a few days with no response, I asked Jamar Finch, the EC of ZAU (And a good friend), if OSH 18' was planned. He said that it was not on his radar, but he would love to hold the event again. Since Jamar was not there for last year's event, and I was, he asked if I would help him out in making VatVenture 2018. I helped explain how Oshkosh works in the real world, and how he could improve the realism for VatVenture from last year. He was grateful for my help and put up an amazing event and NOTAM packet in the forums on the SAME DAY we talked. Later on, I contacted Jamar about a unique way to spice up the event from last year by having the FSX Blue Angels perform at Oshkosh during the event on the network. He was really supportive of my idea, so I went to an old friend from the FSX Blue Angels, named Ben, and asked if he and his team would like to participate in VatVenture 2018. He was also very fond of this unique opportunity, so I set up a meeting time with Jamar, Ben, and myself to hash out the details of how the demonstration would be integrated into VatVenture 2018. At the end of this meeting, it was my understanding that OSH would close to traffic at the end of the event (2100z), so that the FSX Blue Angels could perform while connected to the live network. (At the time we didn't know that closing OSH would be against VATSIM regulations). Pilots could view the demo by being connected to VATSIM, and parked on the grass or ramp at OSH.

Since I was one of the few people with this knowledge, I felt that I could help by answering some of the questions posed by members in this forum. Evidently, I should not have provided answers to these questions, as I am just "some visiting controller" who doesn't know anything about this event.

I will concede that this issue could've been handled better by having Jamar answer questions based on information discussed in the meeting, rather than myself. In the future I will make sure to let the ARTCC field questions regarding their event, no matter how much affiliation I have.
Clay Brock (CB) - 1299667

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 01:17:23 AM »
Per the real world NOTAMs and TFRs, the airport will be closed for the aerial demonstration.

Well, if you want to get that specific, the airshow TFR is 1930-2330z on that date.

There is nothing to require VATSIM pilots to read any vNOTAM that may be concocted, nor is there any mechanism to ensure pilots have visibility to such NOTAMs.