need info on stars and route transitioning

Dale Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
I am new to vatsim.  as a pilot  I would like some info on stars arrivals.   On the approach when the pilot needs to do a route transition, should the piloit announce to atc the transition himself? If so, when should he/she make the announcemrnt and how should it be phrased to the controller?

Jonathan Devine

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
Welcome Dale! I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

The transition is the point at which you enter the STAR or exit a DP. There is no audible for this in itself.

If you need to deviate from the STAR/DP, you need to make a request.

You: "Delta 241 with request."
ATC: "Delta 241, go ahead."
You: "Delta 241 requesting direct SUMMA." or whatever deviation you need
ATC: "Delta 241 proceed as requested." or "Delta 241 approved." or "Delta 241 request denied."

If denied, ATC may suggest an alternative.

If you can give the reason for your deviation, give it when you make your request. If it is reasonable it is more likely to be approved.

Ultimately, the safety of your aircraft lies on the pilot, so if you need to take immediate action to avoid weather or another aircraft you may do so without permission, but inform ATC as soon as possible and state your reason.

Does that answer your question?
Jonathan Devine (DJ) - ZDC Events Director
VID: 1074915
You want the clearance? You can't handle the clearance!

Dale Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »
Lests say I am flying form KSEA to KGEG using the route MONTN6 EPH ZOOMR1  On the EPHRATA TRANSITION (EPH.ZOOMR1)  Should I announce this or request the transition?  How should this be phrased?

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:54:41 AM »
Quote from: Dale Davis
Lests say I am flying form KSEA to KGEG using the route MONTN6 EPH ZOOMR1  On the EPHRATA TRANSITION (EPH.ZOOMR1)  Should I announce this or request the transition?  How should this be phrased?

You don't need to request it.  Put it in your flight plan, then fly it.  That's it.  If ATC re-routes you, that's different.  But most of the time you won't be re-routed so long as the route is a good one and you'll fly it as you filed it.