yet another new pilot question

Skyler Curtin

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: January 02, 2012, 06:42:27 PM »
Hi guys,

so i just got my copy of pmdg 737-6/700 expansion, and Blueprint Simulations KIND, ans KMCO scenery, and im getting ready to do a flight from kind to kmco, but there is no active controllers at either, so who am i supposed to contact for my flight, because im sure no one wants me to just fly through everyones airspace, and another question, am i expected to look at the charts during vfr flight, and say for example get clearance through the bravo airspace and what not?

Thanks all,
Skyler Curtin

Kenneth Haught

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://vzanartcc.net
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 07:03:51 PM »
Hi Skyler, glad you are asking questions instead of blundering through blind! Let me try to answer a couple. The first, about who to contact, is pretty simple. On VATSIM we use a top-down model where each position is responsible for everything below it when they are not staffed. In the case of no ATC available though, you would simply follow the CoC and monitor (does not mean transmit every 3 seconds) 122.80 on text (the VATSIM UNICOM frequency). If a controller logs on you may contact them, or they will send you a contactme request via PM if needed.

As for VFR clearances, if you are flying VFR then yes, you would do well to be in possession of the sectional charts. You would also be responsible for calling the controlling position prior to entering the airspace in that case. If, however, you are flying an IFR flight then no need to call for Class B clearance, etc...as full services are already being provided as an IFR aircraft.

Hope that clears up those two issues, for more information (if you haven't already), I recommend a thorough read though the VATSIM Pilot Resource Center (available on the VATSIM.net website). Keep on learning, and welcome to the virtual skies!

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager
VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)
Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
Quote from: Kenneth Haught
Hi Skyler, glad you are asking questions instead of blundering through blind! Let me try to answer a couple. The first, about who to contact, is pretty simple. On VATSIM we use a top-down model where each position is responsible for everything below it when they are not staffed. In the case of no ATC available though, you would simply follow the CoC and monitor (does not mean transmit every 3 seconds) 122.80 on text (the VATSIM UNICOM frequency). If a controller logs on you may contact them, or they will send you a contactme request via PM if needed.

As for VFR clearances, if you are flying VFR then yes, you would do well to be in possession of the sectional charts. You would also be responsible for calling the controlling position prior to entering the airspace in that case. If, however, you are flying an IFR flight then no need to call for Class B clearance, etc...as full services are already being provided as an IFR aircraft.

Hope that clears up those two issues, for more information (if you haven't already), I recommend a thorough read though the VATSIM Pilot Resource Center (available on the VATSIM.net website). Keep on learning, and welcome to the virtual skies!
Do you need to get ifr clerence if noone is manning the appropreate clerence dilvery post? If so how do you do that. If you are flying VFR into controled airspace but no controler is presnt do you also just moniter unicom?

- Sachel Davis-Delano

Dylan Lundberg

• ZME Staff
    • View Profile
    • Fly High Virtual
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:09 PM »
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Do you need to get ifr Clarence if noone is manning the appropriate Clarence dilvery post? If so how do you do that. If you are flying VFR into controled airspace but no controler is presnt do you also just monitor unicom?[/quote]

If you want IFR Clearance, however the local Clearance Delivery Controller is not on, but the next higher controller is on, (Tower,Approach/Departure,Center) then yes. If their is absolutley no one online in that ARTCC and the Specific Airport, then just monitor CTAF,(Unicom)

If you are Flying VFR into controlled Airspace , Charlie, Bravo, Delta, you contact the Tower, Approach/Departure, or Center Controller to get your appropriate "Clearance". If their is no controller present for your Airport, than simply monitor CTAF(Unicom)

Hope this Answered your Questions!

Dylan J. Lundberg
Honolulu ARTCC Training Administrator
Dylan Lundberg
Air Traffic Manager
Memphis ARTCC
Just here to grill
[Exiled VATUSA9, Former ATM(x2), DATM, TA(x2), EC(x2)]