DRAFT VATUSA logos

Merik Nanish

• Members
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
Quote from: Ryan Parry
The star is red and blue. The blue is a dark muted blue, is everybody seeing it as grey? I'll have to tweak it I guess.

It is up to you. The color code for that muted blue is R=67, G=77, B=87, so it is very much grey with a tiny hint of navy blue. Compare that with the color used in standard US flag: R=60, G=60, B=110.

The red is also a bit off; you have 216,52,58 while the red in US flag is really 180,35,50.

Here is yours:

[img]http://i59.tinypic.com/118hykn.png\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]

Here is yours if you had used standard US flag colors:

[img]http://i60.tinypic.com/2lc2o9y.png\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:13:51 PM by Merik Nanish »

Chris McGee

• Members
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2015, 11:04:54 PM »
I would use the revised blue, it POPS more than the gray blue. With that said you need to make the VAT the same blue as the U and A.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:05:12 PM by Christopher S. McGee »

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 08:39:29 AM »
Quote from: Christopher S. McGee
With that said you need to make the VAT the same blue as the U and A.
I don't know about this. Then the "S" being red makes no design sense.

Chris McGee

• Members
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 08:50:47 AM »
Quote from: Dhruv Kalra
I don't know about this. Then the "S" being red makes no design sense.

Good point.

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 10:45:59 AM »
Alright, thanks for the feedback guys. I did a little tweaking. I tried taking out the white star on the swoosh, but it looked funny and the swoosh did not make any sense after that so I put it back in. The real problem with the little white star is when the logo gets resized the white star looks like a tiny white dot.

I made VAT blue and USA red in both the navy/ red I originally had and the USA flag ones. Personally, I think using the USA flag colors looks odd...the blue seems too bright and the red almost looks purple or something (the nex is closer to a purple than a red). I like the original colors I came up with, however I uploaded both for everybody to decide on their own.

Rather than uploading another image I just made an album on imgur that has the original logo, the rearranged colors, and then the new colors.

Something I have not tried yet is making VAT in grey and then USA is just red or just blue. That may be ok too, depends on if everybody likes grey or not.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:19:35 PM by Ryan Parry »

Chris McGee

• Members
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2015, 11:57:07 AM »
Gotta take out the star, not going to back down on that one. If you refuse, let the VOTE decide

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
Quote from: Christopher S. McGee
Gotta take out the star, not going to back down on that one. If you refuse, let the VOTE decide

I updated the album with a new logo that doesn't have the white star and I added "vatsim united states division" to the bottom to see if anybody likes or dislikes that. I think the swoosh looks empty and confusing without the star, but when you make the logo smaller it is hard to see anyway.

Mark Hubbert

• Members
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2015, 01:07:43 PM »
Not one to interfere but I really like Ryan's Logo.

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
Quote from: Mark Hubbert
Not one to interfere but I really like Ryan's Logo.
Which one? As of this posting, he has four.

As for the star issue... I personally like it and agree with Ryan on its necessity. Sure, on the smaller sizes, you can't see that it's the typical 10-sided geometrical shape so commonly used to represent a star. Darn. Look up at the night sky some time and tell me how clearly you can make out the apparent shape of those tiny little specs of glimmering light.  (In other words, I like the fact that the definition of its shape fades with the smaller sizes.) Plus, it's hard to support the ol' "Red, White, and Blue" without having the "White" somewhere.

EDIT: And just because I'm usually difficult (but in this case it really does align with my preferences as well)... I would vote for an option that used the blue from the 3rd image in either the 'U' and 'A' or the 'S', but I'd probably go more for the red used in the other images. I could go either way on the text at the bottom.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:34:58 PM by Brad Grafelman »

Merik Nanish

• Members
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2015, 09:37:53 PM »
Please drop the gradient. The "V" should be all the same color, not darker in the bottom and brighter in the top. Same for all other letters. Gradients are so 1990s.

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2015, 09:42:22 PM »
Quote from: Merik Nanish
Gradients are so 1990s.
Describing things that differ with your personal tastes as being "so 1990s" is something that is, like, so 1990s.  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:42:39 PM by Brad Grafelman »

Chris McGee

• Members
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »
Quote from: Brad Grafelman
Describing things that differ with your personal tastes as being "so 1990s" is something that is, like, so 1990s.  

So what was wrong with the 1990'?

[img]http://www.lionheart-designs.com/inventory/jigsaw%20puzzles/AmericanHistory/The%20Nineties%20959.jpg\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2015, 08:19:02 PM »
Quote from: Michael Dugan
Here's a few variations on #5 since a lot of people seem to like that one...

First, an updated version of the original with the background outline and text position tweaked to allow for a wider (read: less tall) aspect ration
[img]http://dugan.io/img/vatusalogo-updated.png\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]

Second, one that gets rid of the background map and draws the letters in pretty closely
[img]http://dugan.io/img/vatusalogo-tight.png\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]

Last, same as the second image except that connections were added on the top of VAT and bottom of USA
[img]http://dugan.io/img/vatusalogo-connected.png\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]

Prefer this one, but will it translate in a smaller version??

Kenneth Bambach

• Members
    • View Profile
DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »
[attachment=218:Vatusa_Logo.jpg]

OOPS!!!!!

DRAFT VATUSA logos
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2015, 10:16:11 PM »
Quote from: Ken Bambach
[attachment=218:Vatusa_Logo.jpg]

OOPS!!!!!