Basic exam

Christopher Barr

• Members
    • View Profile
Basic exam
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:16:48 PM »
I took the exam today when i signed up i thought that i had to take the exam imediately after.  I went and took the test to no suprise failed it and then i checked my email and found out it was open book and i had 7 days to take it is there anyway to not have to wait 7 days to be able to retake it??????

Kenneth Haught

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://vzanartcc.net
Basic exam
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »
Unfortunately I don't believe there is any precedence to have the waiting period altered. Look at it this way, you have 7 whole days to study for the next attempt...so you should do great on it!

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager
VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)
Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Basic exam
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »
Each test assignment comes with an e-mail that explains both the test name and its expiration date. Just wait it out and take this time to study the knowledge, then retake it once the waiting period expires.

Anthony Riedi

• Members
    • View Profile
Basic exam
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:33:27 PM »
Quote from: Christopher Barr
I took the exam today when i signed up i thought that i had to take the exam imediately after.  I went and took the test to no suprise failed it and then i checked my email and found out it was open book and i had 7 days to take it is there anyway to not have to wait 7 days to be able to retake it??????

Im new to vatsim and to vatusa, and figured I'd introduce myself and say goodluck in training for the atc program here. I will give a bit of advice though without trying to sound cocky. I did ATC for real in the Army for 6 years, and one of the first things I was required to learn; was to make sure I understood everything completely before signing onto the mic, keep you head on a swivel buddy and again goodluck. I realize I too am new with tons of questions about vatsim, but if theres anything I can do to help please feel free to contact me.

~RI

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Basic exam
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
Quote from: Anthony Riedi
Im new to vatsim and to vatusa, and figured I'd introduce myself and say goodluck in training for the atc program here. I will give a bit of advice though without trying to sound cocky. I did ATC for real in the Army for 6 years, and one of the first things I was required to learn; was to make sure I understood everything completely before signing onto the mic, keep you head on a swivel buddy and again goodluck. I realize I too am new with tons of questions about vatsim, but if theres anything I can do to help please feel free to contact me.

~RI
Anthony,

You should find your experience here quite worthwhile. We have many former and current real world air traffic controllers in various ARTCCs within VATUSA.

Anthony Riedi

• Members
    • View Profile
Basic exam
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:36:16 AM »
Quote from: Harold Rutila
Anthony,

You should find your experience here quite worthwhile. We have many former and current real world air traffic controllers in various ARTCCs within VATUSA.

I'm extremely eager and excited to start training, the biggest problem im having though is not with testing or with "going through the motions", but rather with what im supposed to download and how to properly use it. I have VRC, but as far as for the mic part, what do we use? I've heard mention of something called squawkbox, and then at other times teamspeak. Any way to clear this up?

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
Basic exam
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:31:10 AM »
VRC contains its own internal voice client, so you will not have to bother with anything else. Teamspeak is used by numerous facilities to conduct lessons and coordinate ATC activities, sort of like an intercom, but whether you need it is up to the facility you join. Initially, VRC is a stand-alone application.

Hope that answers your questions ... if not, fire away. We're here to help.
Tom Seeley
Deputy Director (Retired), VATUSA