Get some help with set up.

Carl Gosline

• Members
    • View Profile
Get some help with set up.
« on: April 18, 2020, 09:49:51 PM »
Hi everyone Carl Gosline here and i'm feeling very lost. I have signed up and got logged into VATSimUSA I have also got FSX (Flight Sim X) SO I'm just trying to get situated.  Can someone help me .

Fady Botros

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Get some help with set up.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 11:45:34 PM »
Welcome! Are you interested in the flying part of vatsim or the controlling part or both?

-Fady
Fady Botros
ZMA Air Traffic Manager

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 12:26:31 AM »
I have been helping Carl, guys. We are all set.  :)
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

Steven Tuck

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 09:23:18 PM »
 I'm also new to the ATC side. I've been flying but interested in trying out the other side   LOL. Which is the best software to download ??

Peter Shivery

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 11:08:03 PM »
I'm also new to the ATC side. I've been flying but interested in trying out the other side   LOL. Which is the best software to download ??

VRC is a great software to get started!
Petey Shivery
Controller
Jacksonville ARTCC

Steven Tuck

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 10:13:37 AM »

I may be in over my head ... it looks like the instructions are old and I'm having trouble following. I have downloaded VRC and have it open but when I add my 1st sector file (Orlando International (KMCO) ASDE-X Ground Sector File.) and open it in the file: open sector, I don't get anything but a tiny blue box in the middle of my screen. Are there more up to date instructions for windows 10  ??

Peter Shivery

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 11:42:12 AM »

I may be in over my head ... it looks like the instructions are old and I'm having trouble following. I have downloaded VRC and have it open but when I add my 1st sector file (Orlando International (KMCO) ASDE-X Ground Sector File.) and open it in the file: open sector, I don't get anything but a tiny blue box in the middle of my screen. Are there more up to date instructions for windows 10  ??

Try to zoom in with your mouse-wheel and turn on "View > Static Text".  If the box is tiny it's because your scope is very zoomed out.

We also have a step by step guide on CBTs on how to setup your scope. Just ignore the audio settings/communication instructions because we haven't updated the document yet for AFV.

https://www.vatusa.net/cbt/ZJX and click on "Scope Setup"
Petey Shivery
Controller
Jacksonville ARTCC

Steven Tuck

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 11:59:34 AM »
 That helped    brought up a rough sketch of the airport diagram ... I put the file under alias per an old video. Is one of the other software pkgs easier to understand ??
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:10:53 PM by Steven Tuck »

Steven Tuck

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 02:44:56 PM »
 Is there a simpler software install ?? I'm a real world commercial pilot (retired) but not a computer guru so unless I can get some clearer instructions on setting this up, I;ll just stick to flying.

Steven Tuck

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 03:56:18 PM »

Try to zoom in with your mouse-wheel and turn on "View > Static Text".  If the box is tiny it's because your scope is very zoomed out.

We also have a step by step guide on CBTs on how to setup your scope. Just ignore the audio settings/communication instructions because we haven't updated the document yet for AFV.

https://www.vatusa.net/cbt/ZJX and click on "Scope Setup"

Now I'm seeing the light..... I've completed "scope setup"    and working on "on boarding"   thanks so much

Steven Tuck

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 04:25:55 PM »
Got an invite to join discord but I must already have an account as it says my email is already in use. I guess I don't know my password and when I go to reset it the screen keeps going back to the invite page ???

Peter Shivery

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »
Got an invite to join discord but I must already have an account as it says my email is already in use. I guess I don't know my password and when I go to reset it the screen keeps going back to the invite page ???

Hi Steven,

I see you joined the server as Tuckster#6295. I'd check that you're logged in as that user!
Petey Shivery
Controller
Jacksonville ARTCC

Steven Tuck

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 06:56:09 PM »
I have my 1st appointment scheduled ... "observer Introduction". How far out should I go with my CBT ??

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 07:26:35 AM »
Hi Steven,

You should complete all of the ZJX onboarding CBTs, found here: https://www.vatusa.net/cbt/ZJX
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager