Live ATC For Vatsim

Salvatore Barcia

• Members
    • View Profile
Live ATC For Vatsim
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm a big fan of Live ATC. I think it's very neat to listen in on real world controllers. With that being said, I was wondering if we can have something similar on VATSIM. I think it would be very neat to listen to controllers live that are controlling on the network. People might say that it's easy to just sign on the network and listen, but it can come handy when you're not near your PC. I know that not everyone wants to be listened to on a live Voice Server, so maybe we can make it an optional thing. Are there any ideas for this?

Alex Evins

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nyartcc.org
Live ATC For Vatsim
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »
It's called RogerWilco.

Ron Banks

• Members
    • View Profile
Live ATC For Vatsim
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 08:24:04 AM »
Quote from: Alex Evins
It's called RogerWilco.
Is there a voice server address we can enter?

Live ATC For Vatsim
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »
Quote from: Ron Banks
Is there a voice server address we can enter?

Use ServInfo.. it'll show you the current voice servers, active voice channels, who is in them, and offer a join button to launch rogerwilco and put you in the room.

Kenneth Haught

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://vzanartcc.net
Live ATC For Vatsim
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 05:49:44 PM »
A piece of advice for using RW, since the change to show who is transmitting you will need to do some adjustments after you click join. Copy the Address it joins you to, then click "Leave". Press join, and paste it back in with just the IP and channel (it adds "currently" to the end of the channel since the change). Once you have the IP address for your preferred server...you can also just change the channel section to match the controllers channel, instead of having to copy the whole thing again.

Jeffrey Carpenter

• Members
    • View Profile
Live ATC For Vatsim
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:04:23 PM »
Quote from: Alex Evins
It's called RogerWilco.

[size=]From the VATSIM Forums...[/size]
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Just be advised, everyone, that Roger Wilco is not really encouraged on the network. We were using it initially (read: pre-ASRC) and it wreaked havoc on the network. Not only because of people not having it configured correctly, but because anyone could join a voice server, jump on a voice channel, and interfere with ATC operations on channel, and can do it without needing to authenticate against any server. They can jump on with any name they want, make everyone's enjoyment absolutely horrible, and not be accountable for it.

That is why AVC, and the intgrated voice programs in SB3 and FSInn came about. On top of that, while RW is freeware, later versions became shareware, but also had spyware hidden within it. that was the other reason why we went away from it. So if you want to use it, go ahead, but user beware.

BL.[/quote]

Kenneth Haught

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://vzanartcc.net
Live ATC For Vatsim
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 01:40:55 PM »
Quote from: Jeffrey Carpenter
[size=]From the VATSIM Forums...[/size]

Great find Jeff, and as with all software it is obviously user-beware. Some of the issues addressed in the post you referenced have been addressed, namely the ability of anyone using RW to transmit on a VVL server. Regardless of how you have setup your RW the VVL servers prohibit any connection from transmitting unless it comes from a VATSIM program (VRC, FSInn, etc).