ATC Training

Doug Watson

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Training
« on: July 25, 2021, 05:28:43 PM »
I am trying to make sure I am on the right path for training as an ATC Controller. I have completed the Academy CBTs up to the instructor section and all of the ZJX CBTs. I have alco scheduled my first training session with an instructor/mentor for the first week in August. I have read that I should receive an email once all the CBTs have been completed but have not seen any emails as of yet. Should I complete the CBTs for becoming an instructor as well? Am I on the right path? I have already taken one test that let me become able to choose my sector, are there more that I am missing? Is there a written syllabus somewhere to follow?
Thank you for any guidance I can receive.
Doug Watson

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
Re: ATC Training
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 05:44:43 PM »
Hi Doug:

I'll start by reminding you that these forums should not be used as the primary method of communication with ZJX or its staff.  While we do actively monitor them, you're likely to see a delay in response compared to messages sent to us on Discord or emailed to us.  We encourage you to make use of our resources, rather than relying on the forums.

You will not receive an email after your CBTs have been completed, but you are on the right track otherwise; the training staff member you meet with for your first session will provide you with a few additional resources and will answer any questions you still have, but there's nothing additional you must do before that session.  If you're looking for things to do to help you get better prepared, we're happy to provide some materials before the session - just let one of our staff know and we'll get that to you.

Since you asked; you need not complete the CBTs for becoming an instructor (though you should feel free to if you're interested :D ).

Please feel free to let us know (again - preferably not via the forums) if you have any other questions.
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Doug Watson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 06:57:17 PM »
Thank you Brin for your response. I did not mean for my post to go to any one person in particular. I just thought that maybe some of the others that had been through this training might be able to inform me. I thought the forums were here to discuss related topics. I do apologize if I have stepped out of line, it was not my intent to violate any policies.
Thanks again for your help!
Doug Watson

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 07:22:53 AM »
Hi Doug:

You absolutely didn't step out of line or violate any policies; no worries.  While the forums are a great place to get some help from the community, these kinds of questions are better addressed to the staff at the ARTCC you're assigned to. Community responses are not guaruanteed to be accurate or timely, whereas ours are.

Our community on Discord is full of current and former students who, I'm sure, will be happy to assist you as well (probably with a greater degree of accuracy than those in the larger division :D).
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager