Squawk Codes

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Squawk Codes
« on: October 09, 2009, 06:38:02 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of the VATUSA-designated ARTCC squawk codes?

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
Squawk Codes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 06:50:22 PM »
http://www.vatusa.net/docs/beacon_codes_for_vatusa.htm

Use that for new, I'll put a link up on the site this weekend to the PDF version

Kyle Gallagher

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Squawk Codes
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »
Quote from: Andrew Podner
http://www.vatusa.net/docs/beacon_codes_for_vatusa.htm

Use that for new, I'll put a link up on the site this weekend to the PDF version

Andrew, I'm away and on a hotel pc so I don't have the POF File, but I know ZOB has moree squawks than that. CLE TRACON has codes starting with "0". I am sure because it is a problem using TWR Trainer.

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Squawk Codes
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 08:56:05 PM »
Quote from: Kyle Gallagher
Andrew, I'm away and on a hotel pc so I don't have the POF File, but I know ZOB has moree squawks than that. CLE TRACON has codes starting with "0". I am sure because it is a problem using TWR Trainer.
Make sure your students have the PRIM option checked when using Sweatbox. The POF file won't be effective without the PRIM. If PRIM is unchecked, VRC will issue 1000, 1001, 1002, etc. Other than that there is no explanation as to why TWRTrainer would affect your squawk codes.

The only way the PRIMing could potentially cause interference with the real-time (USA-W2, S3, EUROPE-CE, etc.) is if the voice channel is set to that of the real-time position. In ZDV I implemented a policy which required Sweatbox students and instructors to change their voice channels to XXX_YY_XXX, where YY was their controller initials. This prevented two controllers (one on Sweatbox, one on the real-time server) to be using the same channel, and it therefore prevents interference.

The VATUSA squawk codes allocated to each ARTCC are the ones that are supposed to be in use. You'll know when someone is using your squawk codes when the CODE error appears in aircraft datatags. In ZDV there are airports without a realistic set of squawk codes because of this document, but because of the limitations of the network, they are required.

Bob Carmona

• Members
    • View Profile
Squawk Codes
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »
TWR Trainer will not allow the instructor to assign a squawk code starting with a zero.

Kyle Gallagher

• Members
    • View Profile
Squawk Codes
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »
Quote from: Harold Rutila
The only way the PRIMing could potentially cause interference with the real-time (USA-W2, S3, EUROPE-CE, etc.) is if the voice channel is set to that of the real-time position. In ZDV I implemented a policy which required Sweatbox students and instructors to change their voice channels to XXX_YY_XXX, where YY was their controller initials. This prevented two controllers (one on Sweatbox, one on the real-time server) to be using the same channel, and it therefore prevents interference.

Harold,

You don't have to switch your vox channels to avoid hearing the Network, you just neeed to not select the "SPKR or HDST" options. You will be a "text-only" controller on a different network. You will not interfere with the Network at all.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:44:01 PM by Kyle Gallagher »

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Squawk Codes
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 07:44:51 PM »
Harold,

You don't have to switch your vox channels to avoid hearing the Network, you just neeed to not select the "SPKR or HDST" options. You will be a "text-only" controller on a different network. You will not interfere with the Network at all.
Yes, you do have to switch voice channels to avoid hearing the real-time servers' controllers' voice frequencies, but only if you want to use voice through VRC. We do this in ZDV, but I know other facilities use Teamspeak/Skype/etc.

If Denver Approach is on USA-S3, for example, on frequency 120.350 and channel DEN_APP, and there is a student on Denver Approach on Sweatbox on frequency 120.350 and channel DEN_APP, then the Sweatbox controller will be interfering with the controller on USA-S3. As long as either controller switches their voice channel, the two can be connected to their respective servers without interfering with each other on voice.

Kyle Gallagher

• Members
    • View Profile
Squawk Codes
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 07:56:51 PM »
Quote from: Harold Rutila
Yes, you do have to switch voice channels to avoid hearing the real-time servers' controllers' voice frequencies, but only if you want to use voice through VRC. We do this in ZDV, but I know other facilities use Teamspeak/Skype/etc.

If Denver Approach is on USA-S3, for example, on frequency 120.350 and channel DEN_APP, and there is a student on Denver Approach on Sweatbox on frequency 120.350 and channel DEN_APP, then the Sweatbox controller will be interfering with the controller on USA-S3. As long as either controller switches their voice channel, the two can be connected to their respective servers without interfering with each other on voice.

OK. I think you do the Sweatbox differently in ZDV, if you use VRC Voice. At ZOB, we do voice over Teamspeak, so that's why we don't need to switch our voice channels.

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Squawk Codes
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 10:51:28 PM »
OK. I think you do the Sweatbox differently in ZDV, if you use VRC Voice. At ZOB, we do voice over Teamspeak, so that's why we don't need to switch our voice channels.
Haha yes, we do. I was just clarifying that when you use voice (in VRC...the VATSIM voice servers), the channel has to be different. I do understand, however, that text-only frequencies will not cause interference.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]TWR Trainer will not allow the instructor to assign a squawk code starting with a zero.[/quote]
Are you talking about having a preset squawk code in the aircraft file? Otherwise TWRTrainer doesn't assign squawk codes. Either that or I'm forgetting about something.

EDIT:
I understand now. When you have a clearance delivery and you tell an aircraft to squawk a code starting with zero, it won't let you do it. I haven't had this problem in ZDV, specifically at Denver Int'l. All of our codes start with zero as well (specifically 0601-0677). Do you get an error message, or just no result at all?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:54:37 PM by Harold Rutila »