FSS / Flight Watch / HIWAS

Arthur Heiser

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://zabartcc.org/index.php/backend/profile/1052801
« on: June 12, 2010, 11:40:35 AM »
Hey guys,

I know this idea has been tossed around before, but I'd just like to bring it up to see what yall think.

I think it would be neat to have FSS/Flight Watch/HIWAS stations available to be staffed for the U.S. in order to provide pilots with information and services just like the real FSS's do. This could include preferred flight plans and hazardous weather information. If a pilot on the ground does not have a valid flightplan, the controller (whether it be CTR, or APP, or TWR or whatever) could have the pilot contact FSS to get the flightplan straightened out, and also advise the pilot of weather along his route.

I would definitely staff this position, don't know about yall, but that's why I'm bringing it up. I look forward to hearing yalls thoughts.
AJ Heiser
Senior Controller,
Los Angeles ARTCC
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas." ~ Davy Crockett , 1835

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »
It would be nice to say "Hazardous weather for the Denver area available from HIWAS, Flight Watch, or Flight Service," instead of "...from me" for a change   .

I think it would be interesting. The main argument for it is going to be that it's one less person staffing a "real" ATC position. Additionally there's no VATSIM rating or callsign suffix for HIWAS or Flight Watch; FSS is used for oceanic control. I think it could definitely increase the realism of flying on VATSIM, though, and maybe even get us a little bit more VFR traffic.

Salvatore Barcia

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:13:40 PM »
I like the idea. Some pilots, or most, may not understand it at first. I wish VRC made an option where you can display a doppler radar on the scope. lol
Salvatore Christopher  Barcia
Cross the Gulf President
ACE Team Member
Miami ARTCC

[img]http://www.vatsim.net/badges/atc1o.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]

Arthur Heiser

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 12:51:58 PM »
From what I've seen, all FSS frequencies in the U.S. are 122.2. That might be a problem.
AJ Heiser
Senior Controller,
Los Angeles ARTCC

Spencer Sprinzen

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 02:12:33 PM »
Looks good on paper. Realistically more than half the people on this network would be unable to provide a quality weather briefing, let alone gather all the information.
Spencer Sprinzen 1047819
ZJX DATM
[email protected]

Salvatore Barcia

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »
Salvatore Christopher  Barcia
Cross the Gulf President
ACE Team Member
Miami ARTCC

[img]http://www.vatsim.net/badges/atc1o.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »
Realistically it wouldn't be a hop on position and would probably need some training. I know of at least one FSS personnel on here that could help.

Arthur Heiser

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »
Quote from: Spencer S.
Looks good on paper. Realistically more than half the people on this network would be unable to provide a quality weather briefing, let alone gather all the information.
I would use http://aviationweather.gov/adds/airmets/java

Seems like that has ample amount of weather information made available.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:52:33 PM by AJ Heiser »
AJ Heiser
Senior Controller,
Los Angeles ARTCC

Michael Corcoran

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 09:07:48 AM »
Quote from: Spencer S.

I agree 100% with this, but how many pilots can accurately communicate with Oceanic FSS?  From what ive seen, not many.  I think if the controlers put a sort of template in their Controller Info, it would help pilots know where to get the info needed, and how to report it over frequency, just like some Oceanic FSS's do.

I really like this idea, it would be very realistic, but it would require a LOT of effort and take a long time to perfect

+1
C1 Michael Corcoran 1093752
New York ARTCC | PPL | CTI

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 10:02:04 PM »
There's not much formality involved with calling FSS. It's just
"Lansing Radio, N6030E, over."
"N6030E, Lansing Radio, go ahead."
"N6030E would like to open our VFR flight plan from X to X."
"N6030E, flight plan opened. X altimeter XXXX, you have a great flight."
"Thanks sir, 30E."

Even then the briefers aren't subject to a whole lot of phraseology.

If we're talking about giving DF steers, then that's probably not the easiest thing to simulate, but since Lockheed-Martin consolidated almost everyone into Washington, DC, many FSSs don't even provide that anymore to begin with.

In terms of weather briefings, there are many websites that can decode the meteorological information into essentially a script. If anyone's familiar with DUATS (duats.com), the decoded radar reports there are essentially what's read over the radio by both controllers and FSS. I've actually briefed pilots FSS-style on my Denver Center frequency recently when we had a few small but intense cells along a popular route of flight.

I think a HIWAS application would be more valuable than FSS at the moment. At the same time, though, the information presented on it could be really "off" since pilots don't all have standardized weather. Running a HIWAS would be a little bit more complicated than recording something and putting it on the air. First there has to be a way to record it and put it on a VOR frequency. Next you have to allow the pilot clients to receive the VOR frequency, but not the morse code that Flight Sim would automatically broadcast; it would need to broadcast the HIWAS recording. On top of that, a CoC amendment might be necessary in the event that a controller wants to broadcast a Voice HIWAS and Voice ATIS (read: the two connection rule).

I think standardized weather is really necessary before any of this could happen.