VATSIM is only as good as the number of Controllers

Greg Miller

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: November 02, 2010, 07:30:28 PM »
I'm a serious pilot, both as a real one and as a simulation one.

I have been flying via VATSIM US for about 8 months now, EVERY night after work, and find the ATC experience fun, informative, instructive and consider it a TRUE addiction.

The x737 (x-plane) is the A/C of choice and I fly IFR/ILS exclusively.  I purposely seek really lousy WX, so I go to the governments METAR page and find a bunch of lousy weather.  Then I find the appropriate ARTCC and hope to find someone controlling.

Now here is another consideration, lousy weather is no fun if you can't see it, so I try to find daylight.  The US is getting darker, so as an east coaster, I head to the western part of the US  @ plus 4 hrs.

So now the ISSUE.  I find, when I check out the ARTCC's, the following:  "No Controller On-Line"  Granted, I can sometimes find an ARTCC with controllers, but when I get there, they often go off-line too often and too soon.  Some nights I get lucky, others not.

I'm experienced enough that I can land without them, but it's more fun with them.  We guys and girls yack on 122.80 and help each other out, but that's not real world.

And that's the point... is VATSIM real world, and when and how long?

We pilots appreciate the great work of volunteer's doing this and wonder why there are not more of them.

Thanks for listening,

Greg

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:09 PM »
VATSIM isn't real world by any means. We try to simulate real procedures (atleast some of us ), but we realize that VATSIM has its limits, both on the pilot and controller knowledge and ability level.

Quite frankly, I think the reason that there isn't a lot of controllers is partially due to the politics involved as well as the intensity of the training.

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:03:42 PM »
Greg,

It depends on when you're looking for ATC. If you're looking for ATC on Monday through Thursday at, ya know, anytime before 6 PM MDT or PDT, good luck. The best time to catch this side of the US is really anytime during a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Weekday nights are iffy due to the schedules of all controllers in the ARTCCs.

A major factor in this is our schedules in the real world that don't allow the controllers to spend any time on the network during the week. Also, a lot of ARTCC training takes place during the week, and then students and the instructional staff control mostly on the weekends.

Scott DeWoody

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:04:45 PM »
Quote from: Ryan Geckler
VATSIM isn't real world by any means. We try to simulate real procedures (atleast some of us ), but we realize that VATSIM has its limits, both on the pilot and controller knowledge and ability level.

Quite frankly, I think the reason that there isn't a lot of controllers is partially due to the politics involved as well as the intensity of the training.

Ryan, exactly.  Anyone can fire up the Flight Simulator, and jump in and fly a 747 coast to coast, but to control, there's politics, and intensive training before one is allowed to control solo.

Greg Miller

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »
I understand the training needing to be rigorous, it emulates the real world, and we know how tough real ATC is.  I don't get the "politics" part of it, do you have to be a Democrat?  

Greg Miller

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »
Speaking of Controllers...

It would be awesome if "Pilots" had an opportunity to see what the controller sees.  Is there anyway to "look over their shoulders" ?

Romano Lara

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 07:45:44 PM »
While flying? No.

Observing Yes, you can download the Controller Client from VATSIM.net - VRC is the commonly used client in the United States, you also have to download the ARTCC's sector file from their website in order to observe their sector.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:45:59 PM by Romano Lara »

Nicholas Cavacini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 07:46:18 PM »
Yes there is!

I personally use VRC to control (Virtual Radar Client) VRC

To get the needed sector files you will need to visit the ARTCC's website.

You are probaly looking for ZLA or another west coast ARTCC though. ZLA would be a place to start. LAARTCC
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:51:48 PM by Nicholas Cavacini »

Kyle Ramsey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 01:15:52 PM »
Quote from: Greg Miller
I understand the training needing to be rigorous, it emulates the real world, and we know how tough real ATC is.  I don't get the "politics" part of it, do you have to be a Democrat?  

I don't get it either.  Why does an S2/3 need to even know politics go on at all?   Seems the local staff could protect them form any of that; it is part of what leaders do, I think.

Glad you are enjoying VATSIM Greg, I encourage you to do more than look at a scope but maybe pick an area you would enjoy controlling and try it out.  Then you can report back and let us know about the politics n the training pipeline.

Gary Millsaps

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 07:22:51 PM »
Wait...there's politics on VATSIM? Where?  

With all due respect Kyle, it sets a bad precedent to publish "baiting" posts in the forums and I would appreciate your refraining from doing so henceforth in the VATUSA forums. Everyone is well aware of the detrimental perception "politics" has across VATSIM and we do NOT need a BOG member encouraging folks to assume a prejudicial attitude in characterizing their experiences as "politics." It is difficult enough to manage, streamline and enhance the efficacy of the "training pipeline" without the unnecessary stigma of "politics" being iterated.

I urge any member to report to me or any member of VATUSA staff, or appropriate ARTCC staff about any issues they encounter with the units, operations or staff of the VATUSA Division but ask that members refrain from engaging in the kind of forum activity being promoted by Mr. Ramsey's post.

Thank you,
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:23:28 PM by Gary Millsaps »

Brian Pryor

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 01:27:12 AM »
Ok so don't report the politics Greg but do tell us your experience and bring any questions here, we are here to help after all!

Send the politics to Gary and his boss (VATNA1)  that's what they get paid to handle.

Dan Leavitt

• ZMA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 06:37:15 PM »
Quote from: Brian Pryor
Send the politics to Gary and his boss (VATNA1)  that's what they get paid to handle.

I KNEW there was a conspiracy...Gary, why haven't I seen MY paycheck yet???        

DL

Greg Miller

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 07:41:53 PM »
Quote from: Romano Lara
While flying? No.

Observing Yes, you can download the Controller Client from VATSIM.net - VRC is the commonly used client in the United States, you also have to download the ARTCC's sector file from their website in order to observe their sector.

Hope this helps.

It does, thanks.  How do you get the ARTCC's sector file?

Greg Miller

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »
Quote from: Nicholas Cavacini
Yes there is!

I personally use VRC to control (Virtual Radar Client) VRC

To get the needed sector files you will need to visit the ARTCC's website.

You are probaly looking for ZLA or another west coast ARTCC though. ZLA would be a place to start. LAARTCC

Got the VRC client, runs on Windows only... Bummer!

Greg Miller

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »
Quote from: Brian Pryor
Ok so don't report the politics Greg but do tell us your experience and bring any questions here, we are here to help after all!

Love this forum, best I've been to since flying VATSIM.  I appreciate the sense of humor, but also the seriousness of it.