Would you join?

Brendan Lynch

• Members
    • View Profile
Would you join?
« on: November 23, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »
I recently had the idea for a new, Heli only, VA.  (Technically a VSOA-Civ. Gov't)  The VA would consist of pilots, flying out of the major city of their choice, Helis, replicating the day to day duties of a Police Department Pilot.  If you would be interested, great.  Biggest need is a webmaster, I have absolutely no idea how to do anything more than a wordpress.  Cities I was thinking of starting with, more to come if we can get enough interest:
Charlotte
New York
Houston
Philly
LA
Only requirements are basic heli skills and a Heli used by the city you picked.

Romano Lara

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Would you join?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:11:32 PM »
Hello Brendan. Let me share my really short thought about this. There's already a Heli Flying Club on VATSIM, I think that's Metro Helicopters. And there's even Hovercontrol.com which has tons of members and a lot of helis to choose from. Given that you wanted to start a VA like this, which is not 'new' ... have you asked yourself already, "What is so different about my VA? - What is new about this VA, or is it just the callsign?

We've seen a lot of VAs that grew overnight like a mushroom then suddenly disappear a week after because the CEO is no longer interest because nobody would join him. Or the VA is too common for everything. Or he didn't find the staff to work on it.

Please consider this second thought. It takes time working a VA up. Delta VA, AvA, UVA and the like didn't just appeared overnight declaring themselves as a major VA. It took them time to develop, just like how you approach a business development.  

Good luck and all the best!

Brendan Lynch

• Members
    • View Profile
Would you join?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 07:11:46 AM »
Quote from: Romano Lara
Hello Brendan. Let me share my really short thought about this. There's already a Heli Flying Club on VATSIM, I think that's Metro Helicopters. And there's even Hovercontrol.com which has tons of members and a lot of helis to choose from. Given that you wanted to start a VA like this, which is not 'new' ... have you asked yourself already, "What is so different about my VA? - What is new about this VA, or is it just the callsign?

We've seen a lot of VAs that grew overnight like a mushroom then suddenly disappear a week after because the CEO is no longer interest because nobody would join him. Or the VA is too common for everything. Or he didn't find the staff to work on it.
Yes, I'm aware it takes a lot of work and time to start a VA.  Hovercontrol uses it's own servers, and is different from vatsim.  Metro Helis appears to be a FS only VA, and only operates out of NY and LA.  They only do firefighting, EMS, Air Taxi, and Sightseeing.

Brendan Lynch

• Members
    • View Profile
Would you join?
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 07:11:47 AM »
And remember, I will add any PD that has an aviation unit, so if the city you want to operate out of isn't listed here, it can be.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:29:09 PM by Brendan Lynch »

Brendan Lynch

• Members
    • View Profile
Would you join?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 04:22:35 PM »
Quote from: Brendan Lynch
And remember, I will add any PD that has an aviation unit, so if the city you want to operate out of isn't listed here, it can be.

We have a website, hiring all positions including:

Chief of Each City (But Charlotte, that is one of my jobs)
Webmaster (The website is terrible, I know)
Scenery Developer
Researcher (Researching new cities to operate out of)
Not sure of the title, helps with the "Language Barrier" between FS and X-Plane
Recruiter (Handles applications, another thing I am currently doing)

All of the positions above will be active pilots as well, unless an LOA is granted.
Here is the site.  Click on this to see the site.