Visiting Controller from another Division

Vishal Kumaaresan

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:12:01 AM »
Good Morning,

I am Vishal,from VATSIM-UK and would like to be a Visiting Controller in VATUSA,in an ARTCC.After consulting with a staff member of OAK ARTCC / ZOA,I was advised to register a as NON VATUSA Member(Visiting Controller),which could help me to take up Theory Exams after registering in VATUSA System,so that I could go ahead with my training processes.

My question - Is it possible to join as a Visiting Controller from another Division or Visiting is just between ARTCC's(which requires me to be a home member,but I am not)? If it is possible,Is the registration process for Visiting Controller Automated or Manual ?

Many Thanks for Help.

Vishal Kumaaresan
VATSIM-UK S3  

Gary Millsaps

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 05:24:19 AM »
Vishal,

As was replied to you through the VATUSA Help Desk response...you need to establish your Visiting Controller status with a chosen ARTCC...for example Oakland ARTCC (vZOB). If they have examinations in the VATUSA Exam Center, you need to join the Division as a non-member here: www.vatusa.net/visitor.php

NOTE: Not all ARTCCs host their exams on the Division's Exam Center so you may not have to use the link above. Additionally, as part of your assessment for visiting status, your home facility may be contacted for a reference.
Welcome to VATUSA & Good Luck!

Vishal Kumaaresan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 05:33:41 AM »
Quote from: Gary Millsaps
Vishal,

As was replied to you through the VATUSA Help Desk response...you need to establish your Visiting Controller status with a chosen ARTCC...for example Oakland ARTCC (vZOB). If they have examinations in the VATUSA Exam Center, you need to join the Division as a non-member here: www.vatusa.net/visitor.php

NOTE: Not all ARTCCs host their exams on the Division's Exam Center so you may not have to use the link above. Additionally, as part of your assessment for visiting status, your home facility may be contacted for a reference.
Welcome to VATUSA & Good Luck!

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the Quick Response.I didn't get any response from the help desk for a long time,so,I thought I could post it here.Still,I am not able to view a response for my ticket in the HelpDesk-probably deleted.

Yes,I contacted Oakland ARTCC's DATM and I was advised that I need to join the VATUSA Examination System.Thanks for the link,I couldn't find it elsewhere.I understand the Home Division needs to be contacted.

Regards,
Vishal
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:37:44 AM by Vishal Kumaaresan »

Romano Lara

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 05:44:49 AM »
This is interesting Gary. I was under the impression that a member needs to join through that portal in order to take an exam from our exam center, however one of my visiting controller (from Asia) was accidentally assigned the exam from the Exam Center directly without him enlisting in this Visiting Controller sign up page. When I asked him, he confirmed that he was able to take the exam.

Last thing, is this link found somewhere on the VATUSA website?

The last time I tried to point a visiting applicant to this link told me that its 'not working' (after he entered his CID and password) I wonder why tho.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:45:11 AM by Romano Lara »

Romano Lara

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:33:22 AM »
Disregard. I just realized that this person is a previous VATUSA member from ZMA so I guess that kind of in a way kept his account on the VATUSA website that allowed him to take an exam without prior signing up from the visiting controller form.

Gary Millsaps

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »
Hi Romano, No, the link is not posted on the website. This is by design so the system isn't filled with non-divisional members who do not make some kind of contact with an ARTCC and request visiting access and approval from that ARTCC.

As you've already discovered, if the visitor was a previous member of the division, they do not need to (and cannot) use that process to gain access to the VATUSA-hosted examinations.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:38:31 PM by Gary Millsaps »