ground taxi phraseology

Edward Kraus

• Members
    • View Profile
ground taxi phraseology
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:59:06 PM »
"Runway (number) VIA (route) (additional instructions as necessary)"

It's suppose to be "Taxi to Runway (number) VIA (route) (additional instructions as necessary)"

So why on the vatusa training site, does it say the first 1? I've listened to Liveatc.net and they say the second 1

Rahul Parkar

• Members
    • View Profile
ground taxi phraseology
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 04:57:47 AM »
Ed,

According to the 7110.65 the phraseology for taxiing from the gate is the first one you posted.

I'm not sure why some RW controllers use the one you stated, but I don't know the circumstances.

You can read the 7110 here http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/ATC.pdf and section 3-7-2 covers taxiing instructions

Cheers
Rahul
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:01:02 AM by Rahul Parkar »

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
ground taxi phraseology
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:14:55 AM »
This was changed earlier in the year. I'd go by the book

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
ground taxi phraseology
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:06:59 AM »
"Taxi to" is not used by real world controllers when issuing taxi instructions to a departure runway. This is consistent across the US. Those who have been with the FAA for a long time sometimes forget to use the revised phraseology, but that isn't very common.

The "taxi via" phraseology used to only be used when the taxi instruction involved a runway hold short instruction. Runway hold short instructions would only be issued if the taxiway route would take an aircraft across an active runway; an aircraft did not need a clearance to do this and could otherwise cross any runway unless advised not to do so. An accompanying change to the above was a new regulation that aircraft could not cross any runways -- active, inactive, or closed -- without an explicit clearance. Thus, the FAA switched all taxi instructions to a departure runway to the "taxi via" phraseology.

"Taxi to" is used to issue taxi instructions to parking.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
ground taxi phraseology
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »
Quote from: Ryan Geckler
This was changed earlier in the year. I'd go by the book
Yep, about 400 days ago  

http://forum.vatusa.net/index.php?showtopic=1943&hl=
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:27:02 PM by Don Desfosse »

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
ground taxi phraseology
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 05:06:25 PM »
Eh, almost a year. It all blurs together.

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
ground taxi phraseology
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »
A bit of history here..

The .65 did in fact have a 'taxi to RUNWAY' phraseology listed, as we all used to use and were aware of, which basically stated to 'do whatever you need to do to get to the assigned, but hold short of the assigned runway.' This included crossing all taxiways and inactive runways. If the controller needed the aircraft to hold short of a runway or taxiway, the phraseology was 'RUNWAY xx, TAXI VIA a, b, c, HOLD SHORT of d."

The latest .65 updated that to where an explicit crossing of any runway, active or inactive, is required. With that came the phraseology change. Now we have "RUNWAY xx, TAXI VIA A, B, CROSS RUNWAY y Left, CROSS RUNWAY y Right."

So now you must mention the crossing instructions, regardless.

EDIT: What Harold said.

BL.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:06:02 PM by Brad Littlejohn »

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
ground taxi phraseology
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »
Quote from: Brad Littlejohn
EDIT: What Harold said.
Hahah no worries.