WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?

David Macfarlane

• Members
    • View Profile
WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »
I've been using the VATUSA Resource Center training materials from the Basic ATC through C1 and noticed that almost all of the MP4 "ATCast video, brought to you by SATCA and the University of North Dakota" are not working. This starts at Issuing Clearances and while some of the earlier sections have YouTube link connections, the higher levels through S2 and S3 etc are not working. I tried the following link without any more success: http://www.undsatca.org/atcast.php
It apparently requires QuickTime which I have fully updated.
Is this just me? Are there replacements at another site?

david

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:55:54 AM »
Quote from: DAVID MACFARLANE
I've been using the VATUSA Resource Center training materials from the Basic ATC through C1 and noticed that almost all of the MP4 "ATCast video, brought to you by SATCA and the University of North Dakota" are not working. This starts at Issuing Clearances and while some of the earlier sections have YouTube link connections, the higher levels through S2 and S3 etc are not working. I tried the following link without any more success: http://www.undsatca.org/atcast.php
It apparently requires QuickTime which I have fully updated.
Is this just me? Are there replacements at another site?

david
David,

You can also get them on iTunes for free if you search for "ATCast" in the iTunes store. I'm not sure what's going on with our local/linked versions.

David Macfarlane

• Members
    • View Profile
WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
Thanks Harold. I'll look into it.

Rahul Parkar

• Members
    • View Profile
WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 01:02:29 PM »
The Local ones were hosted on an outside service, unfortunately that service was discontinued for whatever reasons.

Last I heard the divisional staff were making plans to either replace the videos or delete them from the TRC. I don't know what has come of that.

The topic it was being discussed on was then locked with no further updates : http://forum.vatusa.net/index.php?showtopic=2707

Cheers!
Rahul
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:04:08 PM by Rahul Parkar »

David Macfarlane

• Members
    • View Profile
WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
Interesting insight Rahul.
I will simply hope that they can be put into a public site and linked or removed from the VATUSA materials page. It just adds a bit of frustration when things aren't there. If they were never mentioned, who would know, eh?

Michael Martin

• Members
    • View Profile
WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
[div class=\\\'codetop\\\']CODE[/div][div class=\\\'codemain\\\' style=\\\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\\\']Tom, I'll shoot an email off to SATCA's webmaster about rights to d/l and reuse their videos. As they don't block the downloading of their content, I don't see it as a problem as long as credit is given where credit is due. Also, pending their response, I will start downloading their videos to my local computer and if given approval to store them locally for our use, will upload them to the server.[/div]

I still have not heard anything from the webmaster about rights to download and host the videos ourselves.  I will send another email to check in.

Rahul Parkar

• Members
    • View Profile
WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »
Michael,

Thank you for the update.

Cheers!
Rahul

Michael Hodge Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://training.vatusa.net
WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 07:40:21 AM »
Quote from: Michael Martin
[div class=\\\'codetop\\\']CODE[/div][div class=\\\'codemain\\\' style=\\\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\\\']Tom, I'll shoot an email off to SATCA's webmaster about rights to d/l and reuse their videos. As they don't block the downloading of their content, I don't see it as a problem as long as credit is given where credit is due. Also, pending their response, I will start downloading their videos to my local computer and if given approval to store them locally for our use, will upload them to the server.[/div]

I still have not heard anything from the webmaster about rights to download and host the videos ourselves.  I will send another email to check in.

Michael,

I had contacted the webmaster who had given me permission to host the videos on the TRC provided we give appropriate credit (of course).

I don't have the email anymore, but if someone there still has access to the [email protected] email  address i created, the email will be in there. I was sure to contact them prior to putting them up to be sure they were ok with it.

Thanks!

-Mike

Bruce Clingan

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.classbravosa.com
WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 03:09:04 PM »
I actually contacted UND also prior to using their videos on our site and they gave me free reign to do as I pleased as long as they were given credit.  I think that it took me about 5 minutes to secure these rights.

Kevin Kelm

• Members
    • View Profile
WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 12:35:46 PM »
That's funny, at UND, we rarely use these videos as some of them use outdated phraseology since it's been awhile since they were made. They are great references though for many things.

I laugh every time I hear Kyle's cheesy sign off: "This is Kyle Warner, frequency changed approved..."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:44:05 PM by Kevin Kelm »

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
WHERE ARE THE VIDEOS?
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »
Quote from: Kevin Kelm
I laugh every time I hear Kyle's cheesy sign off: "This is Kyle Warner, frequency changed approved..."
I do a facepalm every time I hear that. Hahh