New Computer New Vatsim Member

John Brickel

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
So this is my actual first action with Vatsim.  I tried IVAO once in the past and had trouble learning to fly in Dutch.  

With that said, here's where I am:

Computer:
Alienware quad 3.9
Twin Nvidia460GTX pushing 3 19" monitors (I pulled the SLI cable so I can run trip monitor)
16gb ram

Software:
I have a fresh install of FSX only.  I have NOT downloaded or installed any of the service packs.  
I am currently going down the list of add ons (Squakbox et al).

I want to introduce myself as someone who is seeking their VFR license but haven't gotten all the time necessary.  I am still rough learning IFR through a video game (but boy that will hopefully help out some day)

I will be noobish but will try my best.

Charan Kumar

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:56:36 PM »
Welcome to VATSIM John...VATSIM is global so you can fly in many more languages  or just English.

I would recommend SP2 which should be installed only after SP1. That's because once you start getting into it, you might see that any of the additional products you may buy, which by the way is absolutely not required for flying on VATSIM, will need SP2.

Here are a coupla links to help you get started:

Seeing as you are already installing software, you must've visited PRC, nevertheless in case you haven't, http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/

For some IFR/VFR lessons, try http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org.

If you are starting VFR, then you should've absolutely no problems flying in and out of any airports, just remember that FSX came out in 2006 and airport layouts have changed, so you might want to be ready to translate what the controller is telling you into what you actually have. A few rwys will be missing, but most of the lil airports are still intact, save for the rwy numbers as they may have changed in alignment. Charts can be found at aircharts.org, airnav.com (US Only), http://vwings.com/charts or go to  http://allanville.com/aviation_charts/ to find the charts for the country you will be flying in.

Feel free to post qns when in doubt...

Blue Skies!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:02:41 PM by Charan Kumar »

John Brickel

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 05:31:39 AM »
I am having some troubles finding where people are and the frequencies to monitor.
I have spy downloaded...

I'd really like to get involved tonight if I can.

I just want to make sure I am up and running properly.  That's all.   Then I can worry about some smaller flights while I build up to larger operations.

I am going to need a lot of help getting all ready to be a productive member.

Just figured out how to solve my crashing issues.  Looks like some strange .dll file I've never dealt with.  

I hope many of you will be on tonight.  I will be home from work in the eve.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:28:24 AM by John Brickel »

Charan Kumar

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 02:24:50 PM »
Hi John, Friday's thru Sundays are very well staffed. Use Spy, vattastic.com, or vatview.com, qutescoop, all tools tell you where we are hiding, or available . Since the holidays are coming, you can expect slightly higher staffing levels in the evening times and other times during winter holidays.

I would say, get FSX up and running first, then get familiar with your acft, then the VATSIM stuff...trying to learn all 3 at the same time may be a little bit overwhelming, in the sense that should anything go wrong, you won't be able to tell which one is causing trouble. FSX, in itself, is a beast, a messed up beast.

If the dll you were talking about was UIAutomationCore.dll, then good, if not, look it up, to save yourself the pain of crashing FSX, not the acft, but the software.

John Brickel

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 08:33:37 AM »
It was that UI .dll file.  I already swapped it out.

I just hope that whatever controller I deal with has some flight following capability.  I am not 100% using the in-game GPS.

I look forward to flying a bit later tonight if I can.