limited instructors/How do I advance?

Garrett Smith

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »
I have been researching DEL and this issue at the same time.
The lack of instructors, and the high demand, seems widespread. And it seems to be a factor in limited controlers around the world. Please this is just an observation and not my topic.

Is it possible for me to at least get from OBS to S1 and participating by getting instruction elsewhere in the network to begin this entry level rank?
I do not want to leave vZan, I have lived in Alaska for 40 years now, know it well. I dont like working anywhere else RL either, kinda stubborn that way. I get lost, haha.

Many reasons to repair this bottle neck. It will give you more presence in the network, pilots need to see someone.
You will not loose so many good controllers to long wait periods, they can jump right in and assist pilots. That is after all, what we do?
You will have more controllers to become Instructors, solving the issue even more. More areas will be lit up, and for longer periods. 24/7 is you goal, why quit short?
Starting controllers regain some motive and can show if they are willing or not.

OBS to S1 perhaps could be instructed by any instructor network wide to allow (I) with no bookings to assist areas that have OBS waiting to advance and begin.

I had to switch to automated training and flight planning, and pilot self reporting at our VA. I didnt not want pilots to be turned away because staff could not train them all. With the different time zones etc, its best if a person can self regulate.

If I seem impatient, im sorry. This is all a part of a plan to promote vatsim to our pilots, and get Alaska lit up again with ERA flights. I have dropped alot of other projects to the abyss, and dedicated the time to operating on Vatsim this winter and advancing my rank while I have time. We play all winter, work all summer up here.

Sumary:
  I need to know if I can get DEL/GND instruction somewhere so i can begin practice and hands on learning skills. I have read so much its bouncing off.

Gavin Bernard

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »
This is mostly an ARTCC issue in my understanding. Some locations have a higher Student:Teacher ratio than others, so the quickness of training varies. Since you are at vZAN you can only train there. No other ARTCC can promote you according to the VATUSA visiting policies, and I believe the SOP. Just be a little patient and they'll work with you. Good luck!
ZAU I1

Romano Lara

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
You also have to take into consideration the amount of time available in the hands of those Instructors. Since this isn't a real day job, real life priorities is always the commitment. Although I understand it must be frustrating if you've been waiting in line for a while. Just be patient and I'm sure they'll attend to you in a matter of time. I'm sure everyone's been there too at some point in their controlling career.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:44:56 PM by Romano Lara »
Romano Lara
Anchorage ARTCC, C1

Garrett Smith

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 01:51:24 AM »
Quote from: Romano Lara
You also have to take into consideration the amount of time available in the hands of those Instructors. Since this isn't a real day job, real life priorities is always the commitment. Although I understand it must be frustrating if you've been waiting in line for a while. Just be patient and I'm sure they'll attend to you in a matter of time. I'm sure everyone's been there too at some point in their controlling career.

Indeed, as i am CEO of a very large virtual operation i understand full well about time. I dont expect anyone to give up valuable time in life. whic is why we need more instructors, AND a way to get people like me at least doing something... parking cars.... anything...

I had to put together a system that allowed pilots to start at their own pace, weeding out the ones who want to advance all the way and making it easier on staff. This allows new pilots to not feel left out, doing something.

I am not making any personal assumptions here towards anyone or any staff. just pointing out a very visible issue that is stunting growth and loosing interest. Its hard enough trying to learn all this, it sucks when you cant have fun with it too.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:57:40 AM by Garrett Smith »

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Are there not MTR's there who can also assist in your training?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:45:19 AM by Ira Robinson »
Ira Robinson

Garrett Smith

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »
Quote from: Ira Robinson
Are there not MTR's there who can also assist in your training?

guess not..

i have typed and retyped this message, trying to decide what exactly to post.
leaving any opinions and requests out.

yes i am frustrated, big zero for my time so far. my time isnt as important tho.

Enthusiasm mistaken for lack of patience.
Yes I am trying to drive the powers to be into some action.

someone has to put a fire under the kettle.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:58:14 AM »
Sad to say, this is a global problem.  Your frustrations are shared by students, instructional staff, and management staff at every ARTCC in the US, and probably most other countries as well.  Your points are spot on.  Have you addressed your questions with your TA?  If no satisfaction there, have you addressed your questions with your ATM and/or DATM?

If I can offer a glimmer of light -- just Saturday, VATUSA announced a new Basic ATC training program has begun development to (at least initially) help get folks from OBS to S1.  It won't be ready for a few months, but work has begun.  However, that just pushes the bottleneck up the line, at least temporarily, I'm afraid.  But it's certainly better than nothing.

From what I can tell, ZAN is in about the same boat as most other facilities.  3 Instructors plus 3 Mentors to 27 students.  Actually, 4.5 to 1 is a great ratio, but all 3 of the instructors are staff as well (ATM, DATM and TA).  Providing training to students is only one (small) facet of their job duties.

We are all volunteers, and ratings take time.  We are doing the best we can.  That said, all any of us can really offer is encouragement not to give up, stay persistent, stay focused on your goal, and fight your way through to become part of the solution (become a Mentor, then Instructor) and help us.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Garrett Smith

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
Quote from: Don Desfosse
Sad to say, this is a global problem.  Your frustrations are shared by students, instructional staff, and management staff at every ARTCC in the US, and probably most other countries as well.  Your points are spot on.  Have you addressed your questions with your TA?  If no satisfaction there, have you addressed your questions with your ATM and/or DATM?

If I can offer a glimmer of light -- just Saturday, VATUSA announced a new Basic ATC training program has begun development to (at least initially) help get folks from OBS to S1.  It won't be ready for a few months, but work has begun.  However, that just pushes the bottleneck up the line, at least temporarily, I'm afraid.  But it's certainly better than nothing.

From what I can tell, ZAN is in about the same boat as most other facilities.  3 Instructors plus 3 Mentors to 27 students.  Actually, 4.5 to 1 is a great ratio, but all 3 of the instructors are staff as well (ATM, DATM and TA).  Providing training to students is only one (small) facet of their job duties.

We are all volunteers, and ratings take time.  We are doing the best we can.  That said, all any of us can really offer is encouragement not to give up, stay persistent, stay focused on your goal, and fight your way through to become part of the solution (become a Mentor, then Instructor) and help us.

Well thats good news then, and your encouragement is appriciated, but my enthusiasm wont wear off any time soon. =)
And wanting to help is alot of the reason for the enthusiasm. Finding the time is always the issue, for everyone. Which is why im trying to make these posts not sound like a flame or complaint. I do have alot of skills to bring to the table up here (i live in alaska). and my brain is dancing over the thought.

I will try not to obsess. *sits in a corner, chants C-H-A-R-T and taps foot*