VRC and Windows 7

Richard Parrish

• Members
    • View Profile
VRC and Windows 7
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:07:38 AM »
Since Christmas 2011 I have been in search of an answer as to why my new laptop with Windows 7 will not display the TEXT area in VRC.  Those of that use VRC know how important that area is; so that we can communicate with text pilots; or simply multi-task giving text commands and audio commands when it gets busy for us on our ARTCC position.  I have tried every display setting in the DISPLAY properties of Windows 7; from lowest to highest [recommended].  The only difference is it changes from a small window to a normal window as I change and troubleshoot the problem.  Even in the small window the text area is NOT visible and there is plenty of room for it to show up.  Not only does the text area not show up in VRC; but neither does the top menu bar items from LEFT to RIGHT.  I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL just to exit the program.  Your insight(s) would be greatly appreciated; thanks.

VRC and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
Quote from: Richard J Parrish
Since Christmas 2011 I have been in search of an answer as to why my new laptop with Windows 7 will not display the TEXT area in VRC.  Those of that use VRC know how important that area is; so that we can communicate with text pilots; or simply multi-task giving text commands and audio commands when it gets busy for us on our ARTCC position.  I have tried every display setting in the DISPLAY properties of Windows 7; from lowest to highest [recommended].  The only difference is it changes from a small window to a normal window as I change and troubleshoot the problem.  Even in the small window the text area is NOT visible and there is plenty of room for it to show up.  Not only does the text area not show up in VRC; but neither does the top menu bar items from LEFT to RIGHT.  I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL just to exit the program.  Your insight(s) would be greatly appreciated; thanks.

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=61148

Richard Parrish

• Members
    • View Profile
VRC and Windows 7
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:04:49 PM »
Thanks Daniel - now it comes down to whether or not i want to install my Windows XP Pro on my new laptop.  Is this a good idea?

VRC and Windows 7
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:57:47 AM »
I used it up until recently with no problems.  But user experiences will vary.

You need to make sure your laptop's devices have drivers for XP.  Most of the time they do, however, with XP's EOL coming up the chances are increasing that there will not be.  If your laptop has more than 4GB of memory, make sure to get the 64-bit version and not the 32-bit version.  With the 32-bit, only 4GB of memory is usable under normal circumstances so the rest of the RAM will sit around unused.

I'd say you might be better off to upgrade the version you of Win7 you are using to one that will allow you to disable hardware acceleration.

Rahul Parkar

• Members
    • View Profile
VRC and Windows 7
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »
To my understanding and experience,

No Intel Chipset Hardware acceleration settings can be changed using Windows Vista or 7 due to the Intel Drivers themselves, this is uniform between chipsets.

Cheers!
Rahul