Controlling the Arrivals

Tim Farrell

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Freight Dog virtual Air Cargo
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »
Quote from: Daniel Hawton
I've done it from further out... aka, before the aircraft even got onto the arrival.

"Cleared direct SMFIX.  Pilots discretion, descend to cross SMFIX at or above 6000, then cleared (approach) runway (runway)."  There is technically nothing wrong with it.  It's especially useful if you're really busy, they're RNAV equipped, and they are going to a semi-satellite field.

There are more important things to be "upset" about versus a controller's technique of pulling you off a STAR early.

Daniel,

Agreed if busy. If you read my first post. The scenario was little or no traffic!!!!

Thanks Steve!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:44:33 PM by Tim Farrell »

Rahul Parkar

• Members
    • View Profile
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »
I don't see where you two are coming from,

I would be even more inclined to pull them off as early as possible and clear them direct the IAP for the approach if there was little to no traffic. As there is a much lower chance of a conflict arising.

If I were running CTR (on a normal afternoon / evening, when it's not too busy), and I see an RNAV capable a/c, even if they're quite far out, I'd just give them the approach clearance (as long as I can then separate any other A/C flying in or out) as it means the pilot doesn't fly as far and I have less work to do, Win Win Scenario?

Cheers!
Rahul
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:59:39 PM by Rahul Parkar »

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »
Quote from: Tim Farrell
Agreed if busy. If you read my first post. The scenario was little or no traffic!!!!

I am seriously confused. If you get pulled off of the arrival for a shortcut for your approach, you'd be upset about that?

This happens ALL the time in the RW.

Gene Cao

• Members
    • View Profile
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
What's wrong with that?  If I pull you off and send you direct to the IAP for an instrument approach it's expeditious flow of air traffic.  Nothing wrong with it in the least and done rw as well.

I do this all the time, especially when there isn't any traffic. My personal record...clearing an ILS 125 miles out. Muahahaha!

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 10:56:05 PM »
I've cleared planes for ILSes 3 states away...

Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 08:45:20 AM »
Quote from: Tim Farrell
Daniel,

Thanks Steve!

That makes even less sense.  If you are giving them a short cut, there is NOTHING to be upset about.  Less traffic = short cuts are a great thing.  I hate when I am flying and the only one in the airspace and the controller pulls a similar-to-FS-default-ATC style controlling on me.

If you're busy, short cuts are a great tool to establish and maintain separation.  If you're slow, short cuts are a great thing to increase efficiency of air traffic which is one of the primary duties of ATC.

So, unless we are all misinterpreting your initial post, what exactly is the problem with taking people off a STAR if you're getting them to the destination quicker?

Dylan Lundberg

• ZME Staff
    • View Profile
    • Fly High Virtual
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 03:51:22 PM »
Is this something to have a fuss about?? ..everyone else has different opinions..

Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »
Quote from: Dylan Lundberg
Is this something to have a fuss about?? ..everyone else has different opinions..

It is when you got a I1 posting on a public forum making it sound like it's a bad thing to give a short cut and not a technique employed by many many MANY controllers both online and rw.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:19:56 PM by Daniel Hawton »

Dylan Lundberg

• ZME Staff
    • View Profile
    • Fly High Virtual
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 09:11:06 PM »
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]a technique[/quote]

You said it right there, its a Technique. Is it required to give pilot's Short cuts, no. Is it Helpful at times, yes. Everyone has different opinions. Like me. I don't take planes off of starts unless i know its going to be Expeditious and/or the pilot request's it.

And like I have said, maybe it's his opinion?

Regards,
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:14:45 PM by Dylan Lundberg »

Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 10:57:14 PM »
Quote from: Dylan Lundberg
You said it right there, its a Technique. Is it required to give pilot's Short cuts, no. Is it Helpful at times, yes. Everyone has different opinions. Like me. I don't take planes off of starts unless i know its going to be Expeditious and/or the pilot request's it.

And like I have said, maybe it's his opinion?

Regards,

Right, and he's making it seem like the technique of taking people off an arrival is wrong.  That's the point.

Dylan Lundberg

• ZME Staff
    • View Profile
    • Fly High Virtual
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 06:45:45 AM »
Right, and he's making it seem like the technique of taking people off an arrival is wrong.  That's the point.

Gotcha.

Regards,

Tim Farrell

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Freight Dog virtual Air Cargo
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »
Thanks for your reply gents.

Cameron Negrete

• ZLC Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 01:35:27 AM »
Quote from: Gene Cao
I do this all the time, especially when there isn't any traffic. My personal record...clearing an ILS 125 miles out. Muahahaha!
once upon a time there was a a ZOA controller flying through ZMP in the dead of night.  A center controller, bright fellow, cleared them for an ils into KPLN from 545 miles away.  "No traffic observed between you and the field," were the magical words.  But then the ZOA's buddies came up and request IFR out of KPLN 5 minutes later.  The controller was crushed  

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »
Quote from: Cameorn Negrete
once upon a time there was a a ZOA controller flying through ZMP in the dead of night.  A center controller, bright fellow, cleared them for an ils into KPLN from 545 miles away.  "No traffic observed between you and the field," were the magical words.  But then the ZOA's buddies came up and request IFR out of KPLN 5 minutes later.  The controller was crushed

"Hold for release, traffic 530 mile final."

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
Controlling the Arrivals
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 05:34:21 AM »
Quote from: Dhruv Kalra
"Hold for release, traffic 530 mile final."
THAT IS AWESOME!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:35:01 AM by Don Desfosse »