Lost Comms 7600

Stephen O'Hara

• Members
    • View Profile
Lost Comms 7600
« on: May 09, 2013, 05:52:45 AM »
What is VATSIM's Current view on Pilots who squawk 7600?

on our training page It states that in the COC  (  2003 )  that "PILOTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SIMULATE A RADIO FAILUREĀ CONDITION BY ENTERING A TRANSPONDER CODE OF 7600"

http://www.vatusa.net/training/tiki-index...._to_Emergencies

In the current COC  It no longer states that simulating a Radio faulure is prohibited  http://www.vatsim.net/network/docs/coc/

I know that the COC has changed over the past 10 years,,  but Im just wondering where VATSIM Currently stands?

Rahul Parkar

• Members
    • View Profile
Lost Comms 7600
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:04:36 AM »
I don't remember it ever stating 7600 is not allowed, 7500 is a different matter, if you use 7600, I'd make sure that the controller is okay with you simulating that before you do it

Cheers!
Rahul

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
Lost Comms 7600
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 08:09:14 AM »
Quote from: Rahul Parkar
I don't remember it ever stating 7600 is not allowed, 7500 is a different matter, if you use 7600, I'd make sure that the controller is okay with you simulating that before you do it

Cheers!
Rahul
How,does one lose comma when text is available?  

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Lost Comms 7600
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:06:07 AM »
I will simulate it as long as it does not affect any other pilots.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
Lost Comms 7600
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:25:18 PM »
There's no rule against it, except, perhaps, the portion of CoC B8, which states, "Pilots are permitted to declare in-flight emergencies only when under positive air traffic control."  That said, I certainly don't consider lost comms an emergency.  I've had semi-lost comms in IFR (could hear but not transmit, in which case I acknowledged ATC by IDENT) and had full lost comms once IFR (that was fun) and several times VFR (RW).  There are procedures for that; just follow procedures.  From an ATC standpoint, I welcome the challenge and the deviation from the routine when someone simulates lost comms and/or an emergency.  And I have never had anyone complain when I engage a pilot in the simulation of an emergency, even when it sometimes slightly affects other pilots (i.e. 10-15 second delay, etc.).  As a matter of fact, I've been thanked several times by some of the other pilots on frequency for doing so, as it allows them to hear how an abnormal and/or emergency situation is supposed to be played out.  If, however, a lost comms situation or emergency would have a significantly negative effect on others, or if anyone else complained, I'd simply ask the pilot to suspend the situation in deference to the enjoyment of the network by others.  I think this approach is quite fair and certainly keeping in the spirit of the rules.

Rahul Parkar

• Members
    • View Profile
Lost Comms 7600
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »
Quote from: Matthew Bartels

Simulation Matt, Simulation

Stephen O'Hara

• Members
    • View Profile
Lost Comms 7600
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:53:36 PM »
Quote from: Don Desfosse
There's no rule against it.....  I think this approach is quite fair and certainly keeping in the spirit of the rules.

Thanks for clearing it up Don

Quote from: Rahul Parkar
Simulation Matt, Simulation

Keyboard failure?  not sure that is covered in the QRH though..

Dylan Lundberg

• ZME Staff
    • View Profile
    • Fly High Virtual
Lost Comms 7600
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:54 PM »
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]How,does one lose comma when text is available?[/quote]

Surprisingly, I've had it happen where my comms would  fail, and My squawk box would disconnect from the frequency, and would say "Transmitting on [blank]...[Blank]".

of course, I'd then PM the controller and see if he is able to deal with my aircraft being stupid, and if so, would follow 'loss of communication' procedures as listed on procedures [if any].

Dylan

Lost Comms 7600
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 02:47:24 AM »
Quote from: Matthew Bartels

While flying online and commencing an instrument approach, my keyboard was no longer being recognized by FSInn so I was unable to use PTT or text.  It was a great learning opportunity for the student approach and local controller at the time though.  Both seemed to know how to handle it and used real world procedures to allow me to complete the last bit of my flight.