New FAA Equipment Suffixes

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »
The FAA has issued a notice that equipment suffixes used in the US will change effective 10/24/2013.

The FAA is simplifying the suffixes, as follows:

/Q /J and /K are being removed and combined with (the existing) /L,  which is GNSS with RVSM
/E /F & /R are being removed and combined with (the existing) /G, which is GNSS without RVSM

For awareness purposes, the following 2 issues will probably arise (courtesy of Will Lewis):

1. Squawkbox users will likely rely on using a code associated with the old definitions of the suffixes
2. /L is not available option in Squawkbox, making it impossible to file the correct suffix from the client
3. Many pilots are already unfamiliar with equipment suffixes causing a large number of pilots to file incorrectly*
*Currently many Squawkbox users do not file a suffix while FSinn users continue to file T/xxxx/F which is the default setting

Pilots should learn and file (if able) the new suffixes to the best of their ability.
Controllers should be willing to assist pilots with editing their suffixes, as requested.

I will leave it up to ARTCCs if they wish to create policy with respect to mandatory updating of flight plans for invalid suffixes.  Personally, I don't see the value, but I will leave that up to you.

The FAA notice can be found here: www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_JO_7110.640_GNSS-TBL_6-2-5_Guidance_for_Identification_of_Suffix_to_Aircraft_Type.pdf

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »
Quote from: Don Desfosse
Personally, I don't see the value, but I will leave that up to you.
There's value when you're teaching a student who's new to ATC after this change takes effect. Telling a new S3 to not send aircraft direct to a fix if they aren't RNAV-capable becomes a problem if the pilot filed an old suffix that doesn't exist in the latest equipment suffix table.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:31:17 AM by Brad Grafelman »

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »
True, and good point.  I was thinking of the existing controller base, who'll probably remember the old codes for a while.  But I hadn't considered the viewpoint of a new student.  Thanks.

William Lewis

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »
Don't think we need to create a new policy, just follow what is already on the books.

Manages Flight Strips, Tags and Flight Plans
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:27:32 PM by William A Lewis »