VFR Corridor KMSY New Orleans

Greg Schultz

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:14:08 PM »
During clearance of my vfr flight plan, the controller cleared and requested I fly the vfr corridor over Lake Pontchatrain.  Since I did not know exactly what he was instructing, I requested I fly my filed plan direct to vor HRV then onto my destination.  He complied with my request.  After the flight I tried to find out what was the "vfr corridor"  and could not find it anywhere -- sectional chart, sids, etc.  Can some direct me to where I can find the information, or was the controller just going to give me vectors out of the class B area or is the corridor the victor route V20.

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »
Perhaps the controller was referring to the corridor shown here? Note that the slender rectangles of the Class B airspace allow you to fly NW or NE between 1000 ft and 2000 ft until you reach Lake Pontchartrain before turning on course.. all while not being inside Class B airspace (after climbing, of course, if departing from KMSY).

EDIT: Further supporting evidence: this flight claims to have utilized the "NEW ORLEANS VFR CORRIDOR" to fly westbound, and its route seems to follow the areas I mentioned above.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:47:49 PM by Brad Grafelman »

Chris Stacy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
The VFR corridor the controller was referring to was indeed the section of airspace directly above KMSY heading NW and NE between 1000 and 2000 feet. As noted on the sectional, flying through this airspace requires approval from the KMSY tower or approach controller(s).

It sounds like things worked out on your flight, but if you are ever unsure about something like this feel free to ask. We're a pretty accommodating bunch, and I for one would be more than happy to help explain things like this when needed

--
C