VATSIM Pilot or Real World Pilot... The Answer May Shock You...

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« on: November 15, 2013, 03:55:33 PM »
And controllers think VATSIM pilots are bad....

Courtesy of NASA Aviation Safety Reporting System (ASRS)
Lesson:  Know how to operate the aircraft’s fuel tank selection panel

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]The student…preflighted before the start of the lesson. While running the Start checklist, I observed some mishandling of switches such as engaging the starter when he meant to press the prime button and forgetting to turn the magnetos on prior to cranking the engine. During the run up, he demonstrated satisfactory procedures while checking the systems and briefing the takeoff and emergency procedures…. We taxied to the runway for the start of pattern work and were cleared for takeoff. While the student taxied onto the runway, I performed my own personal checks by visually confirming that all mags were on and both fuel selectors were in the ON position.

After takeoff, the Student turned a left crosswind then downwind and started his Pre-Landing checks after the gear had been extended…. Abeam the runway, I requested a touch-and-go and read back the landing clearance…. The student reduced the throttles to 15 inches MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure), added the first notch of flaps, and pitched for a 100 knot descent…. It was at that point that I noticed irregular left engine noise. Since we were flying on a fairly humid day, I promptly turned on the carb heat of the left engine and then the right. The left engine quit immediately following the application of the carb heat. I announced, “My controls,” took control of the aircraft and proceeded to adjust mixtures, props, and throttles full forward. At that point the right engine quit as well. I pitched for 88 knots and looked right and left in search of a place to land while declaring an emergency on Tower frequency.

At this point we were approximately 1,000 feet AGL and somewhere just north of the…highway merger. I checked the mag switches to verify that they were on. Tower asked if we required equipment and I replied, “Yes, we can’t make the airport.” After ruling out any surrounding roads due to the amount of bank required to get to them, I aimed for a thicket of trees straight ahead. Reaching between the seats to verify that the fuel selectors were in the ON position, I found them both resting at the midpoint in the OFF position. I quickly pushed both fuel selectors full forward to ON and continued the glide. In the midst of preparing for a nose-high flare into the trees, both engines fired and started developing full power, pulling the aircraft up and away from the terrain.

After reaching a safe altitude, I updated the Tower to let them know that we had regained power and would be landing on the runway. On final approach to land, the Student started reaching for the fuel selectors and yoke to which I responded, “Don’t touch anything. I am flying and will be taking this landing.”

After parking and shutting down the aircraft, I questioned the Student on his actions. He stated, “I looked at the fuel selectors while on downwind; they looked wrong, so I moved them.”[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:57:41 PM by Don Desfosse »
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:57:15 PM »
What an amateur mistake! Why didn't he just try Ctrl+E??

Chris Robison

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:10:33 PM »
:facepalm:
Chris Robison

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 02:12:46 PM »
The instructor may want to consider teaching the student how to do those personal checks. The student may want to consider asking about the fuel selectors considering it sounds like he tried to turn them off again after the engines came back!  

Mark Taylor

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »
The instructor may also want to consider visually checking the checklist as the student performs it to prevent this from happening again, or something similar. After all, the instructor is the PIC...

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »
Quote from: Mark Taylor ZHU
The instructor may also want to consider visually checking the checklist as the student performs it to prevent this from happening again, or something similar. After all, the instructor is the PIC...
The student moved the switches to the OFF position on downwind, without telling his instructor. It sounds like everything was kosher at the completion of the after-takeoff checklist.