What do you call them?

Danny Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
What do you call them?
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:49:13 AM »
What do you call the Controllers when you have the following:

I am at John Wayne and want to get clearance or to taxi.

There is no Controller at John Wayne.

There is a Controller at LAX. 

Do I call the LAX Controller "John Wayne Clearance" or "John Wayne Ground" or do I call the LAX Controller "LAX XXX" and let him know I am at John Wayne and what I want to do?

Similar situation:

I am in flight and want to enter/transition an airspace that is controlled by Hawthorne Tower. 

There is no Controller in the Tower, but, there is a Controller at LAX with sufficient privileges to cover the Tower in question.

Do I call the Controller "Hawthorne Tower" or do I call the Controller "LAX XXXX" and let him know that I want to enter/transition the Hawthorne airspace?

Thanks

Danny
Regards,

Danny

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: What do you call them?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
I think it's more common to address them using the names that matches their VATSIM callsigns (LA Center in your example) and include a brief hint as to which of their many functions is relevant for you.

For example, real world, it might be as succinct as "ground, N123, taxi." But saying "LA Center, N123, taxi" on VATSIM gives no context as to which of the numerous virtual tower cabs the controller should pretend he/she is in. Instead, "LA Center, N123, John Wayne, taxi" is a lot more beneficial.

My $.02.

Merik Nanish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
I am not familiar with the operations in LAX, and don't know if they are supposed to give clearance at John Wayne or not. But in New York Area, we have this one airport, Linden (KLDJ) which doesn't have a tower and all IFR clearances are handled by it's much bigger neighbor, Newark Liberty International Airport (KEWR). LDJ traffic calls EWR DEL and says "Newark Delivery, N1234 at Linden, requesting IFR clearance to ...". That applies both to real world and VATSIM.
ZNY Facility Engineer and Mentor

Danny Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 09:04:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  That information helps.

Regards,

Danny