Members using VRC/vPilot private message to advertise...

Tony Jeppesen

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Members using VRC/vPilot private message to advertise...
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 04:27:22 PM »
The section that covers this is Article VI 6.03.C of the VATSIM Code of Regulation.  Spamming me via private message certainly ruins my enjoyment of the network.
Tony Jeppesen - C3
ZSE ARTCC

Retired VATUSA2, VATUSA7, VATUSA10

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 04:31:01 PM »
Spamming me via private message certainly ruins my enjoyment of the network.
And which section defines "spamming" as "sending a single message throughout the entire duration of a pilot's flight"? I got one of these whilst flying as well. Read it, decided it wasn't for me, closed the PM, went about my flight.

Sorry, but if receiving a single PM that you can read at your leisure and decline to take any action on if you're not interested can "ruin [your] enjoyment of the network," then maybe the network isn't for you. And by "the network", I mean not only VATSIM but the Internet as a whole. If there's a decision (from those in positions to make one) about how the PM functionality should or shouldn't be used, then let that decision come to light in the form of a clear PM usage policy.. not this "oh but it ruins my fun!" crap.

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 11:26:13 PM »
Spamming me via private message certainly ruins my enjoyment of the network.
And which section defines "spamming" as "sending a single message throughout the entire duration of a pilot's flight"? I got one of these whilst flying as well. Read it, decided it wasn't for me, closed the PM, went about my flight.

Sorry, but if receiving a single PM that you can read at your leisure and decline to take any action on if you're not interested can "ruin [your] enjoyment of the network," then maybe the network isn't for you. And by "the network", I mean not only VATSIM but the Internet as a whole. If there's a decision (from those in positions to make one) about how the PM functionality should or shouldn't be used, then let that decision come to light in the form of a clear PM usage policy.. not this "oh but it ruins my fun!" crap.

The colloquial definition of spam is unsolicited advertisement, not repeated messages.  The dictionary also includes, "irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients."  The aforementioned messages seem to fit those definitions.

Tony Jeppesen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »
@ Bradley I can't explain it any better than Matt did.
Tony Jeppesen - C3
ZSE ARTCC

Retired VATUSA2, VATUSA7, VATUSA10

Thomas Harbauer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
Hey everyone,

"[21:23:26] [REDACTED]: Hey you should join our Discord server it's all about general aviation and flight simming(sic). I am a admin and my name on there is [REDACTED]. Here's the link if you want to join [REDACTED]"

Sounds like an SCP, lol

SCP-2992

Object class: Keter

SCP-2992 is a human of unknown gender that resided on the VATSIM virtual air traffic network, and commonly can be found advertising discords. It is extremely hostile if anybody tells it to [REDACTED].

In all seriousness i haven't seen these on xsquawkbox. Maybe it is only going through the vPilot client? I might hop onto FSX to see if i see any messages.

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 01:38:15 PM »

In all seriousness i haven't seen these on xsquawkbox. Maybe it is only going through the vPilot client? I might hop onto FSX to see if i see any messages.

Messages are messages. They don't care about the client used, they all work and come out the same.

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 08:40:24 AM »
This can't be a VATUSA isolated issue.  Does VATNA/VATUSA have anything to say about it?
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 12:43:46 PM »
This can't be a VATUSA isolated issue.  Does VATNA/VATUSA have anything to say about it?

VATNA/VATUSA aren't involved in this.  As recommended above, wallop a supervisor so it can be taken care of if such messages are received.

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »

VATNA/VATUSA aren't involved in this.  As recommended above, wallop a supervisor so it can be taken care of if such messages are received.

Typo alert...  VATNA/VATSIM*

Are they discussing it at the network level yet, or is it still too small?  Will wallop if necessary.  ;D
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 12:01:14 AM »
Typo alert...  VATNA/VATSIM*

Are they discussing it at the network level yet, or is it still too small?  Will wallop if necessary.  ;D

I mean, does this need a special discussion?  Spam is spam, no matter if it's loosely related to the topic at hand or not.