A Simple Alaskan Flight That Ended With Hair Raising Approach

Aharon Dayan

• Members
    • View Profile
A Simple Alaskan Flight That Ended With Hair Raising Approach
« on: September 25, 2019, 01:14:29 PM »
Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Forgive me for not making screenshots past three weeks or so!!! I am way way way behind in 50,000 screenshots waiting for me to edit, research, and publish on various aviation forums!!

Presenting a nice cargo flight from PANC Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airportlocated 5 miles southwest of downtown Anchorage in Alaska to PADU Tom Madsen (Dutch Harbor) Airport located in city of Unalaska on Amaknak Island in the Aleutian Islands off the coast of Alaska.

The airport of arrival is known for risky runway 12 approach especially in tough winter conditions!!

The cargo combi plane waiting patiently along with row of airport vehicles for a plane in front to finish pushback and engine start

Airborne on climb to FL300 after take off from runway 15 with nice background view of sunrise

Making lots of turn adjustments to start the flight route ENA NOSKY AKN CUDDA MORDI ROFZU

Nice wing view of Cook Inlet waters and Kalgin Island which has an official resident population of one person!!

Cruising at FL300 with view of Chisik Island at lower right corner of this screenshot and directly just below the plane is 40-mi-long strip of water called Kachemak Bay which is part of  Kachemak Bay State Park that was the first state park in Alaska

Passing beginning of waters of Iliamna Lake that is third largest lake in the United States. This lake is noted for sport fishing where you can catch fat rainbow trout, Sockeye (red) and Chinook (king) salmon, and grayling as long as few populations of freshwater seals in the world do not steal your prized catches or Iliamna Lake Monster does not kill you first.

Entering waters of Bering Sea

Passing Katmai National Park and Reserve

At 3,000 ft after descent from FL300 now above Akutan Island to get ready for risky approach to runway 12

You must fly 2,000 ft above waters of Broad Bay closer to right mountains

When the runway 12 is in visual, time to make left turn toward it

Still making left turn toward the runway

Darn very powerful winds are making it hard to position correctly for runway approach

Fighting against winds and crosswinds!!

Still fighting against blowing winds

Trying to position for perfect landing

Seconds before touchdown

TOUCHDOWN while blowing lots of snow dust

Braking down DEEPLY since it is short runway!

Exiting from runway to cargo hold area

Arrived at cargo hold to unload crucial cargo goods for the town

Thank you for viewing!! Stay tuned for next exciting flight.

Regards,

Aharon