Linked Events

• [10 APR 2020, 23Z - 03Z] Springtime in Philadelphia FNO: April 10, 2020

[10 APR 2020, 23Z - 03Z] Springtime in Philadelphia FNO

James Anthony

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: [10 APR 2020, 23Z - 03Z] Springtime in Philadelphia FNO
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 09:29:12 PM »
Taxi times were record highs 40+ minutes to even get to gate, only using one entry point and exit point out of the ramp really ins't efficient IMO, as someone who works at PHL IRL that's not how its done (I'm fully aware this is VATSIM, this is an opinion.....)

Tim Evans

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZDC ARTCC
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 09:55:11 PM »
What a mess. DC Center on 133.72 couldn't even except traffic from Indy Center. Five planes had to diverted and two just disconnected because they got tired of holding for over an hour. They could except traffic from Atlanta however during my time holding as I watched planes cross over from Atlanta sectors. Indy Center had to keep apologizing to everyone.  https://prntscr.com/rx3b1w

Over 200 arrivals into 1 airport, you're going to have to expect holds. Enroute control needs spacing as Odinn mentioned. Inadequate spacing from controller to controller adds extra and unnecessary workload, when that accepting controller already has aircraft holding in their airspace. So rather congest the ZDC airspace with more aircraft, hand-offs were refused. Everyone is trying to get into PHL. FNOs have gotten tremendously busy and chaotic these past few weeks. Patience and understanding is greatly appreciated.

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 10:12:44 PM »
What a mess. DC Center on 133.72 couldn't even except traffic from Indy Center. Five planes had to diverted and two just disconnected because they got tired of holding for over an hour. They could except traffic from Atlanta however during my time holding as I watched planes cross over from Atlanta sectors. Indy Center had to keep apologizing to everyone.  https://prntscr.com/rx3b1w

Indy should be apologizing to everyone for not doing their part in trying to keep this event afloat - they were asked for 40 miles in trail, and they ended up with 5 MIT at the boundary to ZDC. After the handoffs were refused, they then dropped the track on planes and shipped them to ZDC anyways, which is a violation of many air traffic regulations. So, they were spun back into ZID airspace.

Don't blame ZDC - they've been doing as well as they could for an event that had more operations during this event than the last 12 hours real world.

Danny Moore

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 10:23:05 PM »

Indy should be apologizing to everyone for not doing their part in trying to keep this event afloat - they were asked for 40 miles in trail, and they ended up with 5 MIT at the boundary to ZDC. After the handoffs were refused, they then dropped the track on planes and shipped them to ZDC anyways, which is a violation of many air traffic regulations. So, they were spun back into ZID airspace.

Don't blame ZDC - they've been doing as well as they could for an event that had more operations during this event than the last 12 hours real world.

Than maybe all the controllers for the event need to work together instead of blaming each other and having pilots fly circles all over the place for hours. Pilots are following the instructions given and were the ones getting hosed because of the lack of coordination between controllers. Sounds like a controller issue when neighboring ARTCC's cant work it out. Maybe FNO procedures need to be re-looked at due to the increased traffic loads due to real world situations. The last 3 FNO's have been like this.

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2020, 10:31:34 PM »

Than maybe all the controllers for the event need to work together instead of blaming each other and having pilots fly circles all over the place for hours. Pilots are following the instructions given and were the ones getting hosed because of the lack of coordination between controllers. Maybe FNO procedures need to be re-looked at due to the increased traffic loads due to real world situations. The last 3 FNO's have been like this.

ZID was asked to provide miles in trail over ATC chat, private message, and through our traffic management units - we made many attempts to coordinate with the facility.

Pilots following instructions does not equal controllers not doing their jobs. In times like this where traffic has been ramped up ten fold, we need controllers to do their part and help out each other. When they don't, pilots suffer.

Tim Evans

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZDC ARTCC
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2020, 10:34:05 PM »

Than maybe all the controllers for the event need to work together instead of blaming each other and having pilots fly circles all over the place for hours. Pilots are following the instructions given and were the ones getting hosed because of the lack of coordination between controllers. Maybe FNO procedures need to be re-looked at due to the increased traffic loads due to real world situations. The last 3 FNO's have been like this.

None of the controllers were blaming anyone else. You brought that up when you began blaming ZDC. There are plans in place for FNOs, there were restrictions in place tonight, they were not followed. As a ZDC controller, I apologize for the inconvenience that you suffered. Next time will let you proceed direct to the field while everyone else is holding. 

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2020, 10:35:46 PM »

Than maybe all the controllers for the event need to work together instead of blaming each other and having pilots fly circles all over the place for hours. Pilots are following the instructions given and were the ones getting hosed because of the lack of coordination between controllers. Sounds like a controller issue when neighboring ARTCC's cant work it out. Maybe FNO procedures need to be re-looked at due to the increased traffic loads due to real world situations. The last 3 FNO's have been like this.

Another thing that I didn't mention - airports like PHL with one primary arrival runway can usually run around a 42-48 aircraft arrival rate per hour - at one point, PHL had over 240 arrivals. The airport cannot physically handle as many planes as we were throwing at it.

Danny Moore

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2020, 11:01:47 PM »
Tim
I'm not going to get into it with you because you hold a position in ZDC. I reported where I had the problem and how we as the pilots were getting hosed because the folks on the ground couldn't work together. Your comment about letting proceed just proves there is a problem by your answer. When we question the ATC pilots are to blame.

David Hoffman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2020, 11:08:16 PM »
“Hi. I am one of a record number of pilots. I wanted to arrive into an airport at a rate equaling or bettering real world. Can’t ATC be better??”

The pilots decided this is record breaking time. Even if half those pilots became ATC instead they wouldn’t be in a position to help these events yet. FNOs have gone insane. I vote for crossfire season, Summer 2020.

(Also when you see these events, try the nearby minor fields. Those are staffed up with eager students earlier in their development process.)

Erik Lenkov

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2020, 11:11:38 PM »

Another thing that I didn't mention - airports like PHL with one primary arrival runway can usually run around a 42-48 aircraft arrival rate per hour - at one point, PHL had over 240 arrivals. The airport cannot physically handle as many planes as we were throwing at it.

Very simply FNO's must include other Major airports in the area. It should have been called East Coast Ops and everything from Boston down to Florida should have the opportunity for exposure and to be fully staffed.

When you advertise the FNO for a single field that's where everyone will want to fly into because that's where all the controllers are going to be. It's like a traffic jam during rush hour with all but one lane open.

With current events, surely everyone is eager to control and fly but due to the spotlight being on one airport on a Friday night, you end up with something even the real world couldn't handle.

Coordination between the ARTCC's will be more streamlined because then everyone will be included in the event.

Advertise and staff more airports and watch the traffic scatter because pilots will actually have more than one choice of where to fly into and out of with fully staffed ATC.

Gia Pham

• ZDC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2020, 11:14:32 PM »
I just want to note that while we're having a GROUND STOP to PHL. Second tier facility and some first tier facility is still LAUNCHING departures to PHL with the hope that ZDC or the facility down the road would do the holding. I mean EDCT and ground stops are there for reasons but that's my 2 cents.

Junzhe Yan

• ZDC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2020, 11:54:46 PM »
Tim
I'm not going to get into it with you because you hold a position in ZDC. I reported where I had the problem and how we as the pilots were getting hosed because the folks on the ground couldn't work together. Your comment about letting proceed just proves there is a problem by your answer. When we question the ATC pilots are to blame.

Sir now you are saying "the folks on the ground couldn't work together" but earlier you were saying that ZDC wasn't doing the job and holding people. ZDC can't do much when PHL can only take certain arrivals per hour. I wasn't the guy in charge or controlling enroute so I can't say much, however, I believe they tried their best to stop too much aircraft enters ZDC. However, if neighbor ARTCC keeps dumping traffic into ZDC, all they can do was to hold people until PHL clears up. If you see a tree's leaves turning brown, it might not be the leave's problem.
Now let's talk about why people were entering ZDC from Atlanta but not Indy. To make it simpler, let's just say ZDC was ok with that. Here's an example. There is a highway that having a traffic jam because the exit is jammed. There's also a traffic light to control traffic on the highway. The lane with green light can get on the highway and the lane with red light cannot. Sir you are sitting in the lane waiting for the red light and complaining about the traffic light and the highway.

Danny Moore

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2020, 12:33:16 AM »
Tim

Sir now you are saying "the folks on the ground couldn't work together" but earlier you were saying that ZDC wasn't doing the job and holding people. ZDC can't do much when PHL can only take certain arrivals per hour. I wasn't the guy in charge or controlling enroute so I can't say much, however, I believe they tried their best to stop too much aircraft enters ZDC. However, if neighbor ARTCC keeps dumping traffic into ZDC, all they can do was to hold people until PHL clears up. If you see a tree's leaves turning brown, it might not be the leave's problem.
Now let's talk about why people were entering ZDC from Atlanta but not Indy. To make it simpler, let's just say ZDC was ok with that. Here's an example. There is a highway that having a traffic jam because the exit is jammed. There's also a traffic light to control traffic on the highway. The lane with green light can get on the highway and the lane with red light cannot. Sir you are sitting in the lane waiting for the red light and complaining about the traffic light and the highway.

You guys at DC love your metaphors. Call it what it was, a mess. You can't fault the pilots who got bounced around between Indy and DC as we were cleared and following instructions from take-off to holds. By the way, I'm not the one responsible for coordinating traffic, your guys are. So if I come-on here to voice my dissatisfaction don't try to make me the bad guy because their was too much traffic. I'm sure another DC controller will chime in. Your good at that. I'm out and done replying because it's getting nowhere. 

Jeremy Peterson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 01:04:56 AM »
Tim

You guys at DC love your metaphors. Call it what it was, a mess. You can't fault the pilots who got bounced around between Indy and DC as we were cleared and following instructions from take-off to holds. By the way, I'm not the one responsible for coordinating traffic, your guys are. So if I come-on here to voice my dissatisfaction don't try to make me the bad guy because their was too much traffic. I'm sure another DC controller will chime in. Your good at that. I'm out and done replying because it's getting nowhere.

Actually I'll chime in. Hi, I'm the ZNY Events Coordinator. We declared an arrival rate of 51 at the start of the event. We ended up landing above that rate for 3 hours (see this nifty link). This means we were landing better than we anticipated. Also, if you would like a log of all of the traffic management initiatives (which I recorded in the National Traffic Management Log), let me know and you can see how much we actually coordinated (note, this does not necessarily include things coordinated internally or via voice on the New York Metro Hotline which we use to connect different ARTCCs to assist in coordination of traffic management things).

We had some problems, yes: we wanted to mitigate South Approach (PHL_SA_APP) becoming oversaturated because we know in the past, it gets easily oversaturated by BOS traffic on J121 and ATL on PAATS. We planned splitting ATL traffic through ZID to route them on the BOJID (the north arrival) and BOS via SPUDS to move some traffic north. Unfortunately, ZID ended up not taking ATL departures through them and ZBW didn't have enough staff to support reroutes so neither of those initiatives was as effective as they needed to be. This contributed to metering delays out of ZID, ATL, and some other places.

Traffic management transcends the small-picture, individualness of single flights. It involves managing flows of aircraft, working within/between ATC facilities, and inter-ARTCC routing and initiatives. To think that problems affecting an FNO are limited to certain flights or ways certain controllers handle things is misguided. It takes a big-picture view to understand what happens on the ground and in the air.

Daniel Everman

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 01:09:40 AM »
Tim

You can't just say "controllers should coordinate" when that was happening the entire night between PHL and the facilities feeding into them, save for one bad apple that didn't wanted to be burdened with the inconvenience of doing air traffic on a network where we pretend to do air traffic. ZDC deserves none of your blame here, that should be placed on the facility that's not playing ball, because they're the ones that are making your time flying miserable.

And before you try it, no, I'm not a ZDC controller.