Choosing STARs and SIDs for GA Piston Aircraft

Tom Maxwell

• Members
    • View Profile
Choosing STARs and SIDs for GA Piston Aircraft
« on: July 23, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »
The other day I flew from KFSD (Sioux Falls) to KMSP (Minneapolis) IFR in a Diamond DA62 (Baron type aircraft with twin piston/prop engines about 180 KTS TAS).  I originally filed using the TORGY3 STAR and was told by ATC I couldn't do that because the TORGY3 STAR is for Turbojet aircraft only -fair enough. ATC then assigned me the SKETR5 STAR which I flew without issue.  The SKETR5 STAR does not say Turbojet Only on it but it does reference Turbojet and Turboprop altitudes on it.  I understand the issues involved with slow aircraft clogging up a big boy arrival, so how do I go about choosing SIDS and STARS when flying IFR in slower GA aircraft like the DA62 or C172?  Is anything that doesn't say Turbojet only fair game? Or should I just file VOR to VOR or direct using waypoints and let ATC vector me out of and into the terminal areas?  I wasn't offended and appreciate the correction, I just don't want to make the same mistake twice.  Thanks! 

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing STARs and SIDs for GA Piston Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 08:12:43 AM »
The other day I flew from KFSD (Sioux Falls) to KMSP (Minneapolis) IFR in a Diamond DA62 (Baron type aircraft with twin piston/prop engines about 180 KTS TAS).  I originally filed using the TORGY3 STAR and was told by ATC I couldn't do that because the TORGY3 STAR is for Turbojet aircraft only -fair enough. ATC then assigned me the SKETR5 STAR which I flew without issue.  The SKETR5 STAR does not say Turbojet Only on it but it does reference Turbojet and Turboprop altitudes on it.  I understand the issues involved with slow aircraft clogging up a big boy arrival, so how do I go about choosing SIDS and STARS when flying IFR in slower GA aircraft like the DA62 or C172?  Is anything that doesn't say Turbojet only fair game? Or should I just file VOR to VOR or direct using waypoints and let ATC vector me out of and into the terminal areas?  I wasn't offended and appreciate the correction, I just don't want to make the same mistake twice.  Thanks!

You’re free to file any STAR that doesn’t say Turbojet only. Typically, piston aircraft will just be cleared via direct routings or fixes that closely approximate the STAR, but as long as you can maintain the MEAs on the SKETR arrival, there’s nothing wrong with being on it.
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 05:50:48 PM »
Exactly.  Stick with Victor airways as best as you can, & feel free to file & fly any SID and STAR which doesn't contain "NOTE: for turbojet aircraft only."  It is true, though, that those are often few & far between -- so sometimes the best you can do is start your route with a VOR or intersection inside the origin's terminal area, & end with one inside the terminal area of your destination.
Cheers,
-R.

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »
There are probably mixed opinions on if this matters, but I'll say it anyway... Don't forget to read your NOTAMs, sometimes there will be a published NOTAM indicating the arrival is for props only. We had one like that for years at SFO and we would reroute jet aircraft on VATSIM that were filed on it.
Ryan Parry - 965346
Pilot Central