My Chart Questions

Dmitry Oxenenko

• Members
    • View Profile
My Chart Questions
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:05:16 AM »
Hi, I was trying to do a flight from KORD to KJFK today but I got stuck at the departure phase. According to information that I found, KORD only has 1 departure chart.

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KORD/DP/all/pdf

How are we meant to figure out what our SID will be from that? My problems were magnified by the fact that my AIRAC data didn't have most of those way points so I was totally lost in a word. In cases such as this, is clearance meant to simply specify... "fly runway heading then turn to blah degrees upon reaching a certain altitude and fly direct to for example DUFEE and then proceed with own navigation"?

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
My Chart Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:41:14 AM »
Pretty much. Take a look at what the departure says: "ALL AIRCRAFT: Expect radar vectors to first enroute navaid/fix. Expect clearance to requested altitude/flight level one zero minutes after departure."

Basically, if there's no ATC on, climb to 5000, proceed direct the first fix, and resume own nav. If there's ATC on, comply with any altitude restriction they give, and follow instructions.

Dmitry Oxenenko

• Members
    • View Profile
My Chart Questions
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:10:11 AM »
Thank you, this is the first time I stumbled on an airport with such procedures and considering the size of the thing, I was quite surprised to see how little in the way of procedures there was.

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
My Chart Questions
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
The reason there is only one is to simplify things out of a busy airport... it also allows for flexibility on the controller side.

J Jason Vodnansky

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
My Chart Questions
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 08:40:38 AM »
Dmitry,

You mentioned that you don't have many of the fixes that are on the ORD5.  You are certainly not the only one.  When it comes to VATSIM, it is the controller's job to accommodate you regardless of what AIRAC database you have.  We just ask that you be flexible with your routing as we may amend your route a bit to get you headed the right direction if there is a lot of traffic.

If there isn't a lot of traffic, what you ask for you should get!

So enjoy the hobby, stick with that AIRAC cycle, and get on and have some fun!

Best,
JV

Nate Johns

• Members
    • View Profile
My Chart Questions
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »
Dmitry,

All you have to do is pick any fix on that chart that you can navigate to and Chicago takes care of the rest via radar vectors.

If you don't have the RNAV waypoints, that's fine, filing one of the VORs on the chart works too... and those VORs are old enough they should be in any AIRAC database.  No great need to update your database if you don't have the $$$, but if you can, that gives everyone more flexibility.

~Nate