Linked Events

• Denver, Seattle, Salt Lake FNO: June 12, 2020

[06/12/2020 2359-0400Z] ZDV ZSE ZLC FNO

John Elliott

• Members
    • View Profile
[06/12/2020 2359-0400Z] ZDV ZSE ZLC FNO
« on: May 28, 2020, 02:39:29 PM »

Join us as we host a Friday Night Ops!  Come fly into or out of any one of our event fields (KDEN, KSLC, KSEA)!  This awesome event will kick off a summer of fun FNOs and VatSim events to come!  Bring your airliner or dust off your GA plane, all aircraft are welcome!

If you so choose, help Denver overload our arrival numbers and help us break the current arrival per hour record!

SEA-DEN
● RNAV: MONTN1 GEG J52 OCS MJANE FLATI1
● NON-RNAV: MONTN1 GEG J52 OCS RAMMS8
------------------------------------------------------
DEN-SEA
● RNAV: DDRTH1 DDRTH CKW J54 PIH J20 PDT CHINS4
● NON-RNAV: YELLO3 NATTI CKW J54 PIH J20 PDT CHINS4
--------------------------------------------------------
DEN-SLC
● RNAV: ZIMMR1 CHNGY EKR LEEHY5
● NON-RNAV: ROCKI5 EKR SPANE7
----------------------------------------------------------
SEA-SLC
● RNAV: SUMMA2 BKE BYI SKEES5
● NON-RNAV: SUMMA2 BKE BYI BEARR5
-------------------------------------------------------------
SLC-DEN
● RNAV: RUGGD1 PERTY KAMPR LONGZ1
● NON-RNAV: SLC4 VEL CHE TOMSN8
--------------------------------------------------------------
SLC-SEA
● RNAV: CGULL1 TWF J15 BTG HAWKZ7
● NON-RNAV: SLC4 TCH J15 BTG OLM2
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:25:38 AM by Jackson Gilliam »

John Elliott
Events Coordinator
Denver ARTCC
[email protected]

Aidan Deschene

• Members
    • View Profile
    • VATSIM Cleveland ARTCC
Re: [06/12/2020 2359-0400Z] ZDV ZSE ZLC FNO
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 04:34:35 PM »
Sounds fun! This event is drawing a slanted-line from the Northwest to Colorado ... random thought though...
Aidan Deschene
Air Traffic Manager
VATSIM Cleveland ARTCC
[email protected]

Gerald Thulbourn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 11:51:38 AM »
Sorry if i ask this out of place but I'm newish to Vatsim; is it allowed to use non standard IFR routes on events such as this?

I'm not thinking totally free style (aka VFR!) but if I flew KSLC to KDEN and submitted a flight plan that just happened to go over Yellowstone at a low (fl180) cruise altitude would that be a pain for ATC people, or frowned upon for not being realistic routing? Want to stick within the spirit of the thing, so will happily route via standard routing if that is the done thing.

I don't understand pressures on ATC folks, only that you help make a lot of virtual pilots very happy, me in particular :-)

Thank you

Gez

David Stone

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 12:50:42 PM »
Gerald, while I don't mean to speak for the Salt Lake or Denver personnel, so long as you file for appropriate departure and arrival procedures, the in between routing shouldn't have a great bearing on your flight. Typically, neighboring facilities do have Letters of Agreement (LOAs) which define 'preferred routing' between your departure and arrival airports, but these are not designed to restrict the pilot from achieving their goals. So for you to fly from KSLC to KDEN, for example, by way of KWYS you might file the SLC4 DP, TCH transition, J9 to DBS VOR dct WYS VOR dct OCS to join the RAMMS8 non-RNAV arrival into KDEN. This is just an example of course, but the main thing to remember is try to use published procedures.
Hope this helps, and regards to the staff at ZLC and ZDV since, as I stated, I don't intend to speak for them in the matter.
David Stone

Kyle Sanders

• Instructors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 01:02:19 PM »
HEZ,

Consider that these high level traffic events usually call for a lot of rerouting by ATC that would be necessary  to accommodate flows so... try filing an IFR flight plan that starts around Yellowstone... fly VFR out of SEA at 17,500 with flight following to that point at Yellowstone, then pick up IFR for the remainder of your route to DEN while airborne after you are done sightseeing.

Would get the best of both worlds and would make for a nice flight without the stresses of IFR during event level traffic until the end.

Pick up
Best Regards,
Kyle Sanders

Gerald Thulbourn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 03:18:52 PM »
Thanks both for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

I don't want to add to the complexity for the good ATC people so I should probably fly "responsibly/realistically" and take a scenic routing another day (I like VFR to IFR, I didn't realise you could do that, but thinking about it I saw a "flight DVD" once with a real world scheduled flight which went IFR to VFR on some small Caribbean island so it must happen sometimes in the real world. I'll consider that for the future.

One of the reasons for going a "longer way round" is to make a longer flight. Being in the UK - having to fly in the early hours - it's nice to get a few hours in, but not too many hours that it gets too late/well early the next day (hence my not considering Seattle)

Maybe I could fly to Bozeman (doesn't matter if it is controlled) then from there to Denver. Then I get a longer flight and to enjoy the ATC from two cities :-) Just means a bit more planning in advance, which should be fun.

Sorry, as I said, I'm just getting my head around all this VATSIM stuff; thanks again for helping out.
Gez

Kyle Sanders

• Instructors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »
Glad to help!

I don't want to add to the complexity for the good ATC people
I’m one of the ATC for the area in question and I am telling you that VFR to IFR is actually more simple than an IFR Departure. If you want to make it easier on ATC, just make sure you have a flight plan on file starting with the way point your wish to start IFR at.

Maybe I could fly to Bozeman (doesn't matter if it is controlled)
KBZN is a towered field and is therefore “controlled”.
Best Regards,
Kyle Sanders

John Elliott

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 10:54:00 PM »
As long as your route is a valid one (watch out for those pesky updated dep and arr procedures!) then you should be set!  If you're confused at all, feel free to log in and file what you think would be close and let the delivery controller help you out!  That's what they do best!

John Elliott
Events Coordinator
Denver ARTCC
[email protected]

Kyle Sanders

• Instructors
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »
UPDATE:

Original Post now has the mandatory routing between these fields.
Best Regards,
Kyle Sanders

Gerald Thulbourn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 06:57:30 PM »
UPDATE:

Original Post now has the mandatory routing between these fields.

Thanks, I'll be following that routing then! All good, looking forward to it,

:D

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 09:12:10 AM »
As someone who does a lot of General Aviation flying on the network, I've found that operating from and to the smaller satellite airfields around the class Bravo focus airports usually seems to work more easily for the controllers during busy events.  Plus, it gives you the opportunity to try interesting things like VFR Bravo transition routes and other less common flight profiles on the network.  Just some food for thought!
Cheers,
-R.

Ryan Drozd

• Instructors
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 03:02:34 AM »
Very good looking banner!

Ryan Drozd
ZHU Training Administrator 
[email protected]

Gerald Thulbourn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 04:36:57 AM »
Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the good ATC folk controlling this event last night (this morning over here in England), it was wonderful to fly with you.  Looking forward to the next event!