flight planning question

Bill Kirkland

• Members
    • View Profile
flight planning question
« on: December 22, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »
Hi, so I was setting up a flight plan from KLAX to KSAN today.  I pulled actual flight information from "flight aware" - such as gate info, cruise alt., etc.  I use PFPX for flight planning purposes.  It set me up with the following flight plan:
KLAX LOOP9 PLYYA1 KSAN
Flight Aware listed the cruise alt at 11,000ft.  There are altitude restrictions on the PLYYA1 ARR well above my cruise alt.  My question is - is it allowable to have a cruise alt lower than the higher elevation restrictions on the ARR, and do I simply fly the PLYYA1 ARR and ignore the higher alt restrictions until I get to one that is at or below my cruise of 11,000ft? 

Question 2:  While on my return trip, my cruise alt was 10,000ft.  Once I reach 10,000ft, am I allowed to go above the 250kias speed restriction?  I assume it is set for below 10k, but what happens when your cruise alt is right at 10k?

Nickolas Christopher

• ZLA Staff
    • View Profile
Re: flight planning question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »
Hi, so I was setting up a flight plan from KLAX to KSAN today.  I pulled actual flight information from "flight aware" - such as gate info, cruise alt., etc.  I use PFPX for flight planning purposes.  It set me up with the following flight plan:
KLAX LOOP9 PLYYA1 KSAN
Flight Aware listed the cruise alt at 11,000ft.  There are altitude restrictions on the PLYYA1 ARR well above my cruise alt.  My question is - is it allowable to have a cruise alt lower than the higher elevation restrictions on the ARR, and do I simply fly the PLYYA1 ARR and ignore the higher alt restrictions until I get to one that is at or below my cruise of 11,000ft? 

Yes, you should be at or above those altitudes depicted on each leg unless instructed otherwise by ATC. However, the PLYYA1 arrival is meant to be used by aircraft arriving to KSAN from much higher altitudes and not for aircraft coming from KLAX.

The best route for jets flying KLAX-KSAN is LAXX1 MZB at 11,000 feet.

Question 2:  While on my return trip, my cruise alt was 10,000ft.  Once I reach 10,000ft, am I allowed to go above the 250kias speed restriction?  I assume it is set for below 10k, but what happens when your cruise alt is right at 10k?
Yes, you may go above 250 KIAS at or above 10,000 feet.

Also, the best route for the return trip is CWARD2 SLI at 10,000.

Per FAR 91.117(a): Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).

Nick Warren

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: flight planning question
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 10:15:23 PM »
SOCAL local routing is generally done via TEC routes.  Their site can provide you good guidance. 

https://laartcc.org/index.php/tecroutes