New Controller Help Request

Thomas Hawke

• Members
    • View Profile
New Controller Help Request
« on: January 27, 2018, 06:08:36 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am new to VATSIM and VATUSA.  Could someone help me with Joining a Facility, Software I should use, and just an all around walkthru. I have discovered the CBT, so working on that now. Thank you for your time.

Thomas Hawke
[email protected]

Re: New Controller Help Request
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am new to VATSIM and VATUSA.  Could someone help me with Joining a Facility, Software I should use, and just an all around walkthru. I have discovered the CBT, so working on that now. Thank you for your time.

Thomas Hawke
[email protected]

Firstly, welcome to VATUSA!  The instructions to get to your first facility are located under the "Join Us" link on the navigation bar.  Software you should use is generally part of the first few training sessions at the new facility as some use EuroScope, VRC, vSTARS, etc. so they should help you get setup once you get there.

Kenneth Haught

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://vzanartcc.net
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:17:34 PM »
Hi Thomas, and welcome to VATUSA! It looks like you would be at step 3 of the "Join us" instructions for VATUSA found here. Your next step would be

After you join the VATUSA division, you must complete the "Basic/S1 Exam." Click on the "Assign Basic ATC Exam" under "My VATUSA" to be assigned the exam. If it's already assigned, that link will not appear. Go to "Exam Center" under "My VATUSA". Before you complete the exam, you must complete the "Block 1 - Basic ATC/S1" Computer Based Training (CBT) course. This can be found at https://www.vatusa.net/cbt. ALL items under Block 1 must be checked complete before you will be permitted to start the exam.

P.s. Daniel beat me by a minute!

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager
VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)
Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 11:40:07 PM »
P.s. Daniel beat me by a minute!

1 min 47 seconds to be precise ;) lol

Thomas Hawke

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 04:35:21 PM »
Thank you all for your help!  :D

Another question:  My brother was curious if he could join as well, but he would play on my system; Should he make a brand new separate account?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:50:13 PM by Thomas Hawke »

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 05:34:06 PM »
Thank you all for your help!  :D

Another question:  My brother was curious if he could join as well, but he would play on my system; Should he make a brand new separate account?

Yes. It's part of the code of conduct you agreed to on registration that you cannot share your account. I'd recommend going to vatsim.net and heading to the membership help page and submitting a ticket to notify them that you share computers so they don't flag the other account as a duplicate.

Thomas Hawke

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 05:39:10 PM »
That makes sense, thank you again!