Linked Events

• Matthew Chicoine "MC" Memorial Event: June 01, 2024

Matthew Chicoine "MC" Memorial Event

Michael Bonaga

• ZOA Staff
    • View Profile
Matthew Chicoine "MC" Memorial Event
« on: May 23, 2024, 11:10:18 AM »

This event is in Memorial to Matthew Chicoine, who passed away in late April 2024, and has been a long time controller in ZOA. The vUSAF have agreed to do a Missing Man Formation during the event at SFO. Fly High MC

ARTCCs: ZOA and ZLA
Date/Time: June 1, 2024, 12pm-4pm PT
Date/Time (zulu): June 1, 2024, 1900z-2300z

A small message from those who knew him best:
Known as WJA720 for his birthday in July, or better known as the gentle voice of Oakland Center, Matt always found ways to bring calmness to the network. He had this distinct itch for aviation that was contagious, yet monumental for us youngsters that were passionate and novel to it. Being as radiant as he is, you can’t help, but look up to him to admire and be inspired. I feared this time will come, but despite his illness, I always regarded him as a warrior. He would log 7-8 hours at a time on position consistently, without weary. Even after losing mobility in his arm he was determined to learn new software both on the flying and controlling side and I was honored to have helped push him in doing so. Matt, you knew how to stay out of the nonsense and kept trudging on with composure to achieve many things others wouldn’t and inspired us all to pursue our passion in this industry, and I’m forever so grateful. Your legacy will pass on and I will make sure of that.

Claus Schuelke

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Chicoine "MC" Memorial Event
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 10:02:31 AM »
He was one of the most friendly and most competent controllers I've ever met during 23 years of flying VATSIM    (AAL207)