Automatic weather Download FS2004

Hugh Byrd

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »
When I load FS2004 and select weather download every 15 minutes the program will not do it.  I have reinstalled the FS9 program two times it still will not download weather aloft every 15 minutes.  

I have been into the settings in the program and checked to make sure that I have selected the right things and to no avail my weather download will not work.  I can download the weather manually (open up weather and select weather download and it  will do it and as soon as I close the weather select window the program will time out and not download as requested by me.  

I am absolutely perplexed and do not know what to do about this problem, I need direction from someone that has overcome the same problem or someone who is familiar with the inter workings of FS2004 that knows what to do or has some other idea that I haven't tried.

The reason that I have included my email address is because I would appreciate a step by step guide as to what has to be done preferably in Microsoft word to overcome this dilemma  .

Best regards,
Hugh Byrd

[email protected]

Cameron Negrete

• ZLC Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 03:25:33 AM »
Well the same thing has been happening to FSX since March and the conclusion that I've seen (Here <edit> ok maybe not but i did read this on avsim in june, which is what caused me to go out and buy ASE) is The real world FS wx engines have been killed.  Which means to get real world weather you must either A use Squawkbox in FS9(unsure if it does wx in 9, I know it doesn't in FSX) or B get an add on wx program (i believe that may be hard to find for FS9).  FSX users can get freeware, i forgot which one is free (OPUS?).  Unfortunate to both the pilot community and ATC community as well.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:28:08 AM by Cameorn Negrete »

Hugh Byrd

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:52:21 AM »
Quote from: Cameorn Negrete
Well the same thing has been happening to FSX since March and the conclusion that I've seen (Here <edit> ok maybe not but i did read this on avsim in june, which is what caused me to go out and buy ASE) is The real world FS wx engines have been killed.  Which means to get real world weather you must either A use Squawkbox in FS9(unsure if it does wx in 9, I know it doesn't in FSX) or B get an add on wx program (i believe that may be hard to find for FS9).  FSX users can get freeware, i forgot which one is free (OPUS?).  Unfortunate to both the pilot community and ATC community as well.

Hugh Byrd

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »
Thanks for bringing me up to speed on the WX program.  It makes since now if the engines have been killed I'll have to try to find a program for fs9.  

I hate to use FSX because it appears to me that FSX was pressed into the market before it was really checked out for one bug after another because I believe that no one at Microsoft was willing to make a career decision and tell Bill Gates that it wasn't ready to put on the store shelves when he wanted to release it.  Once again thanks for your reply.

Best regards
Hugh Byrd

Adam Hulse

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:43:41 AM »
Hugh, a few pilot's at the VA I fly for have started using this: http://www.hanse-coders.net/index.php    I have used it once, and it wasn't bad!  Best of all, its freeware.  Hope this helps!

Hugh Byrd

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »
Thank you for this info and I will check it out because as you know on a 600 nm flight at night a little extra eye candy makes a world of difference. Thanks again.

Best regards,
Hugh Byrd

Hugh Byrd

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 04:12:24 PM »
FYI : After many long hours, research and assistance from many people I have discovered the problem with the real weather not continuing to to download after the first 15 minutes of flight in FS2004.  The problem in my case was in the flight simulator files where the flight plans reside there was a WX weather file missing.  Once I reinstalled the WX weather File in the Flight Simulator Files everything in the FS weather  program is working very well.  I felt that I would share this info with everyone and it may not be someone Else's answer to their Weather problem but it was the answer to mine.  Once again I want to thank everyone for trying to help me in this deli ma.

Best regards and many thanks

Hugh Byrd