Vpilot windows issue

David Freeman

• Members
    • View Profile
Vpilot windows issue
« on: January 25, 2015, 06:33:35 PM »
Hello all,

I am new, in that the last time I flew with ATC was in 2011 when I was using Squawk Box.  Now that I'm back flying with ATC I am trying Vpilot.  Everything was fine until I tried to connect and I cant figure out how to have both the Vpilot ATC window and my FSX window running simultaneously.  When I open Vpilot FSX minimizes and when I unpause it, Vpilot closes; I did not have this problem with Squawk Box.

Is this a V-pilot issue that SB doesn't have, or am I missing a setting somewhere.  It seems pointless to not be able to be able to interact with both windows.  Especially when I'm in uncontrolled airspace and need to text intentions during high workload situations.

If there is no fix, I'll go back to SB I guess, but I seem to remember having to configure SB to operate this way too.  As an aside, I disabled the pause on task option in FSX settings and still have the same issue.

Sorry this may be a basic question, but I am feeling like a newbi all over again.

Thanks,

David C. Freeman
KDFW

Tomas Hansson

• Members
    • View Profile
Vpilot windows issue
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:15:43 PM »
vPilot runs as a stand-alone program so you must have FSX running in Windowed mode in order to switch back and forth. As a side-node, the recommended way to run Squawkbox is also in stand-alone mode so you will have the same issue there. The only client that will run inside a full-screen FSX is FSInn.
Tomas Hansson
VATSIM Supervisor

David Freeman

• Members
    • View Profile
Vpilot windows issue
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:31:57 PM »
Thomas,

I am in windowed mode.  I think the issue is that I have to switch back and fourth.  What I want is for both windows to run simultaneously.  When I type into VPilot, the FSX window minimizes to the task bar.  I can pull FSX back up, but when I click on it to get my sound back, Vpilot closes.  I don't remember this being an issue on SB.

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
Vpilot windows issue
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:52:25 PM »
Did you enable the "Keep window visible" option in vPilot settings?

Additionally, ensure FSX's "Pause on task switch" option in Settings - General is unchecked.

Tomas Hansson

• Members
    • View Profile
Vpilot windows issue
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:59:58 AM »
Quote from: David C. Freeman
Thomas,

I am in windowed mode.  I think the issue is that I have to switch back and fourth.  What I want is for both windows to run simultaneously.  When I type into VPilot, the FSX window minimizes to the task bar.  I can pull FSX back up, but when I click on it to get my sound back, Vpilot closes.  I don't remember this being an issue on SB.

What you described is not standard behaviour of vPilot/FSX. There must be something else in your setup causing this. Does this happen with any other software combination or just vPilot? Brad's suggestions may help. Also try the vPilot forums. These forums are fairly limited in audience... http://www1.metacraft.com/VRC/forums/viewforum.php?f=23
Tomas Hansson
VATSIM Supervisor

David Freeman

• Members
    • View Profile
Vpilot windows issue
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
It was the keep window visible setting Brad suggested.  Thanks for the help guys.