Software Setup Issues

Mark Akeman

• Members
    • View Profile
Software Setup Issues
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:54:12 PM »
N442MA
Need setup help

I finally cured the communication problem I was having.
I logged in at Denver and was not visible to the Denver radar scope
ATC said I was totally invisible to him.

There are many settings and functions not documented or described in the setup i.e.

1. name and home base (the home base part)
2. FSFDT is always red
3. text base ATC does not transmit (echos local only)
4. The "SELCAL" settings
I also only have one server to operate from, shouldn't  there several or many

Please help soon

Thanks all,

Brian Fuller

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Software Setup Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:28:23 PM »
Hi Mark, most of these are answered in the VATSIM FSInn forum.

Pretty sure the installation instructions does say to put your full name in there, and home airport, I am not sure why that is even there, I have never filled it out personally.

If FSFDT is all red, then I am not even sure how ATC is saying they can't see you since I don't know how you are even talking to them.

Local means that is you talking, it doesn't mean you are in any "Local" mode.

The Load Servers button doesn't seem to work, but you can manually enter the IP you want in there, and you can get the IP from ServInfo or from the Vatsim homepage.

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Software Setup Issues
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »
Hi Mark,

I was Denver Center last night when you were calling me up. There is a feature on my radar client that allows me to select aircraft based on their callsign. After trying different variations of your callsign to get you selected on the scope (so that I could open your flight plan and such), I was unable to do so. With that said, I switched radar modes to where I could see all callsigns, and I looked all around for you in my airspace without prevail.

Are you sure that you connected to VATSIM at Denver International (KDEN) or a nearby field?

ATC Note: No scope filters were used on that session.

Mark Akeman

• Members
    • View Profile
Software Setup Issues
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »
Quote from: Brian Fuller
Hi Mark, most of these are answered in the VATSIM FSInn forum.

Pretty sure the installation instructions does say to put your full name in there, and home airport, I am not sure why that is even there, I have never filled it out personally.

If FSFDT is all red, then I am not even sure how ATC is saying they can't see you since I don't know how you are even talking to them.

Local means that is you talking, it doesn't mean you are in any "Local" mode.

The Load Servers button doesn't seem to work, but you can manually enter the IP you want in there, and you can get the IP from ServInfo or from the Vatsim homepage.

Thanks Brian
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:24:47 PM by Mark Akeman »

Mark Akeman

• Members
    • View Profile
Software Setup Issues
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:25:08 PM »
Quote from: Harold Rutila
Hi Mark,

I was Denver Center last night when you were calling me up. There is a feature on my radar client that allows me to select aircraft based on their callsign. After trying different variations of your callsign to get you selected on the scope (so that I could open your flight plan and such), I was unable to do so. With that said, I switched radar modes to where I could see all callsigns, and I looked all around for you in my airspace without prevail.

Are you sure that you connected to VATSIM at Denver International (KDEN) or a nearby field?

ATC Note: No scope filters were used on that session.

I think I found the problem ,,,,,, FSInn was set to observer mode.
I just got done with LAX and they picked me up right off the bat

Thanks again
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:27:05 PM by Mark Akeman »

Brian Fuller

• Members
    • View Profile
Software Setup Issues
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 10:41:52 PM »
Ah, that would do it.

Quote from: Mark Akeman
I think I found the problem ,,,,,, FSInn was set to observer mode.
I just got done with LAX and they picked me up right off the bat

Thanks again

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
Software Setup Issues
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 10:49:02 PM »
Good to know for future reference. Thanks Mark, come back and try us again some time (smiley face but there isn't one that doesn't roll its eyes)!

Mark Akeman

• Members
    • View Profile
Software Setup Issues
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:38:36 PM »
OK all, as I had mentioned if I came across something I would let you know, well here it is,
Once I let it out your giong to say DUH !

ok here it is

wait for it , , , ,

If you are going to fly in the United States, , , , , Get on a United States Server

When I first installed Vatsim the "refresh servers" button was not working, but it worked tonight.
Found out that I was on UK-1
Changed to S3, pinged all of the US servers with the ping command (in a dos prompt) and in Tulsa
got a 59 ms return.

Up and running good now

Ya, I know DUH, but could not locate the server list.
It's probably there somewhere, I just missed it.

I dont know if this is the place to list the servers, but if someone knows where they are please respond with a link

Paul Byrne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bostonartcc.net
Software Setup Issues
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:01:43 PM »
Hi,

I wouldn't say that exactly.

What would be more accurate to say would be that if you are going to fly on VATSIM, then find the server physically closest to your location and connect to that.

Although the majority of my flying and controlling is done in the US, I connect to UK1 as that is the server closest to my location.

A list of all available servers should be automatically downloaded by your client when you start it up.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:02:10 PM by Paul Byrne »

Brian Fuller

• Members
    • View Profile
Software Setup Issues
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 08:36:21 AM »
FSInn's server selection is broken.

But as stated, that wouldn't stop you from connecting, but you would probably get some lag in voice comms.