Linked Events

• Telluride Summer Festival: July 16, 2017

Telluride Summer Festival

Ian Fisher

• Members
    • View Profile
Telluride Summer Festival
« on: June 04, 2017, 10:19:03 AM »

Join ZDV for a Sunday afternoon festival in the small mountain town of Telluride, Colorado.  At an elevation of 9,078 feet above sea level, Telluride Regional Airport is the highest commercial airport in North America with scheduled passenger flights. ZDV is excited to put on this event to this non towered field to challenge both pilot and controller alike. Not only will the procedures be a test, but landing at Telluride threatens pilots to land on plateau with a thousand-foot drop to the San Miguel River below. We hope to see you all there!

Brief packet for controllers and pilots will be attached to this post. We are extra excited to be able to bring you an realistic uncontrolled field experience featuring a monitored advisory frequency for pilots arriving and departing at KTEX! 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:21:59 PM by Ian Fisher »

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Telluride Summer Festival
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
Good choice of date.  The week before OSH, so I can actually try to fly in to this one!

Ian Fisher

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 09:19:45 PM »
Thank you so much to all the controllers and pilots who came out to this event. I was blown away by how fun it ended up being. I hope you guys enjoyed flying as much as we loved controlling!

David Genest

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:06:03 AM »
It was great. Controllers were really on point and professional.

I liked the choice of destination with no ILS approach,a challenging landing (short strip, high altitude) and a published Hold that almost everone had to fly. A++

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »
That weather was no joke, either, at least toward the beginning of the event.  I don't know if it cleared up later, but I got quite the roller-coaster ride coming in right around 2245.

And I too love the variety of a scheduled event at a non-towered field with a non-precision approach.  Gives us some practice on more than just taking off, engaging LNAV and VNAV, and watching Otto do all the work.  ;-)
Cheers,
-R.

Paul Dobear

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »
This was a great event, Kudos to the Denver staff for hosting.  Forgot to leave my feedback. Looking forward to the next one like this.