KZAK - Oceanic LOA

Sean Harrison

• Members
    • View Profile
KZAK - Oceanic LOA
« on: January 27, 2018, 05:58:06 pm »
Hi,

Can’t find on the ZLA website the LOA for handoffs between ZAK and LAX.  Is it still available?
Sean
HCF C1/O

Tony Jeppesen

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
Re: KZAK - Oceanic LOA
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:32:29 pm »
Sean -

That information is available and contained in the SOP for ZAK which can be downloaded from the Oceanic Partners Website.  That information has not changed, we will look into where ZLA's LOA is located.  Future inquires need to be made to vatusa7@vatusa.net.
Tony Jeppesen
Depurty Division Director - VATUSA

Brin Brody

• ZJX Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 09:26:53 am »
Sean -

That information is available and contained in the SOP for ZAK which can be downloaded from the Oceanic Partners Website.  That information has not changed, we will look into where ZLA's LOA is located.  Future inquires need to be made to vatusa7@vatusa.net.

Oceanic Partnership Website: https://pacificoceanic.vatsim.net/
Direct Link to SOP: https://pacificoceanic.vatsim.net/docs/ZAK_SOP_OCT2012.pdf
Brin Brody
Deputy Air Traffic Manager
Jacksonville ARTCC
datm@zjxartcc.org

Sean Harrison

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 08:15:08 pm »
Thank you both for that point out.

That document is focused on the oceanic controller, but i’m Trying to find the agreed hand-off method.  There used to be one prescribing the procedures.

My current experience as FSS, is that CTR don’t seem to need any co-ordination.
Sean
HCF C1/O

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:00:42 am »

I'm sure that Ethan or Nick will chime in on this, but here's what we last saw at ZLA in regards to an LOA with ZAK. From the ATM at the time:

ZAK Is Back
Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:05 am

As you may have seen on the VATUSA Forums, the Oakland Oceanic FIR has been restarted. We'll be posting the Letter of Agreement we signed with them on the website shortly. In the meantime, it can be accessed at the following link:

http://zak.vatusa.net/loa/KZAK_FIR_LOA_O.htm

The Oakland Oceanic SOP coordination procedures referenced in the LOA are available at this link:

http://zak.vatusa.net/loa/SOP_KZAK_1.htm

The only significant requirement from a clearance delivery perspective is that we route aircraft to HCF via R576 or R578. Note that we have no requirement to pick a STAR for HCF, but we do have to utilize the R576 or R578 airways. This is most easily accomplished by sticking to the Simroutes routes, but in any case routes to HCF with oceanic portions that start at DINTY or FICKY should be fine.

The letter of agreement also reaffirms the shelf that we control extending from a line from GALIP, DUETS, EDSEL, FOOTS, WEDES, LENNA, TONYS and HILCO to the regular ZLA boundary from FL240 and above. That's already depicted on the sector file as the westernmost portion of our airspace.

In terms of coordination, the Oakland Oceanic SOP states that:

Use of Oceanic Clearances for aircraft entering the ZAK airspace is limited to usage during published events and/or periods of high traffic when requested by the ZAK Oceanic Controller to efficiently manage traffic flow.

This means that we should coordinate a standard non-radar handoff instead of getting an oceanic clearance on the ground, unless ZAK otherwise requests. A standard non-radar handoff for this purpose includes the callsign, the TCP or Route, the time the aircraft will reach the TCP, and the altitude the aircraft will cross it. This handoff should be complete no later 5 minutes prior to reaching the TCP. It's our responsibility to ensure proper oceanic separation(mach number rule, 10 minutes for both jets, 15 minutes otherwise, or 1000 feet vertical).

Phraseology for the handoff is, "Radar Services Terminated. Squawk 2000. Report Position to San Francisco Radio on (frequency)."

ZAK will handoff aircraft in a similar manner as noted in their SOP. You will need to radar identify aircraft inbound from ZAK. You may pass a beacon code to ZAK to assist in that process.

Those were the last known locations of any LOA that ZLA had with ZAK. I don't remember seeing anywhere where they would have been cancelled, but they were located on VATUSA's site. If they can't be found, as ZLA just selected a new ATM, now or in the next couple of weeks may be the best time to draw up a new LOA.

BL.

Tony Jeppesen

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 08:30:29 am »
Sean -

As I told you in the 2nd posting in the threat that information is contained in the ZAK SOP, they SOP is available for download on the Oceanic Partnership website please review the procedure there.  I have never had an issue with ZLA not transferring controller at the appropriate transfer control points, nor have I ever had a problem with coordination for Oceanic Clearances or other operations.  If you have had a bad experience with ZLA or are seeing an issue, please email me at vatusa7@vatusa.net so I can look into it.  This forum is not the appropriate place for you to be complaining, or trying to make a point.
Tony Jeppesen
Depurty Division Director - VATUSA