Linked Events

• Farewell Runway 33 [2359-0300z]: March 29, 2018

Farewell Runway 33 [2359-0300z]

Jawaun Magee

• Members
    • View Profile
Farewell Runway 33 [2359-0300z]
« on: March 15, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »

On March 29,2018 as part of O'Hare Modernization Program (OMP). Runway 15/33 (formerly 14R/32L) will be closed and converted into Taxiway SS. Come join us at KORD as this will be the last day for departures off of runway 33.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:20:48 PM by Jamar Finch »

JOHN MANLEY

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Farewell Runway 33 [2359-0300z]
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 11:38:20 PM »
http://www.flychicago.com/community/pilotawareness/pages/default.aspx

Just a heads up... 33/15 will be CLOSED STARTING March 29, 2018. You are a day late with this event. It will already be SS and no longer a runway. Up-to-date AFCAD is already completed and will be available a day before. Just thought I would give you a forewarning some people will have it as a taxiway for the event.

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 03:36:02 PM »
http://www.flychicago.com/community/pilotawareness/pages/default.aspx

Just a heads up... 33/15 will be CLOSED STARTING March 29, 2018. You are a day late with this event. It will already be SS and no longer a runway. Up-to-date AFCAD is already completed and will be available a day before. Just thought I would give you a forewarning some people will have it as a taxiway for the event.

The joys of differing scenery.  I'm glad I'm not them and don't have to deal with the transition period (years) where some will have it as one versus the other.

Josh Glottmann

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »
Up-to-date AFCAD is already completed and will be available a day before.
Do they instantly change the runway markings into taxiway markings? I would assume they need to do at least some work taking longer than a day to convert the runway to a taxiway.

Steven Perry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:07:00 PM »
Do they instantly change the runway markings into taxiway markings? I would assume they need to do at least some work taking longer than a day to convert the runway to a taxiway.

Don't worry... the mayor of Chicago knows a guy.

http://willystreetblog.com/wp/2013/03/31/the-day-meigs-field-died/

JOHN MANLEY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 07:28:39 PM »

Im not entirely sure what you are trying to get at by that remark but it will be the same process as when 14L/32R was renamed to SS and then H1 and now H2. A big yellow X will be the first step, then they will cover all runway related markings on the surface including holdshort markings. Then they will replace them with taxiway markings. After that they will slowly change all runway related signs into taxiway signs. By the end of the year, all of the runway north of 9R will be completely demolished. This was why T1 was relocated to just north of Taxiway E... so that there is still a possible route to get to the MX ramp without literally shutting down the flow of traffic from 9L/27R since T is always southeast bound.

That being said, I decided not to go that route so in my AFCAD 33 will be COMPLETELY redone into a taxiway.. not just removal of rwy markings and and a yellow x added. It looks very nice and clean so I dont think their will be any issues on how it is portrayed to the simmers who use it. Regardless if it did have markings on it or not closed means closed and you cant take off of a closed runway even if they have not painted the big yellow X yet... even prior to that it still can not be used for anything other than taxiing.

Now then, 33 was hardly ever used it was for the most part only a taxiway in the final stages of its life. Its a mess but they definitely have a plan and know what they are doing. Very happy this disaster of a runway is finally gone since they barely ever used it such as during nighttime quiet ops or that odd day in a blue moon when the wind was howling out of the NW. cant wait for 27C/9C to be built.. basically gonna have to do the AFCAD from scratch unless you want the runway to go right into the MX ramp and ARFF building lol.

Cheers.

Jawaun Magee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 02:19:05 PM »
John,

Thanks for the INFO as we were aware! As this would be our last time using runway 33, we will accommodate heavy aircraft and whoever wants to use 10L/28R.

Thanks,

Jamar Finch ZAU EC