Metering on the Network

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: Metering on the Network
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »
Wow, Maius!  Wow!  Awesome!

So we figured a max, took 20% off of it, and decided that it's the "AAR" than we can use to shoot for during events.

@SQ: I had to read your last post 4 times before I saw the word "off"....   For some reason I thought you were saying 20% of it....  I was like, "I know more and more VATSIM pilots are "less than stellar" these days, but not that many!  Then I finally saw the "off"...   Phew...  Need more coffee.... ;)
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Sergio Lopez

• Members
    • View Profile
    • vZMA ARTCC
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 10:03:38 AM »
I would be interested in something like this for ZMA as well. Let me know how it plays out during the next event. Thanks.
Sergio Lopez
AIT at vZMA ARTCC
Follow us on Twitter!
The "Live" in Miami Live!

Shane VanHoven

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 12:27:33 PM »
I want to thank everyone for their input, I hope the discussion continues.

Maius has been an absolute boss at doing the website end for ZMP, and he decided this TMU project was something that was doable. Here's an idea of how deep of a discussion we went into about this:

I were looking at stats from our last event and found the busiest 30 minute period, which we all agreed was beyond our max (factoring in network lag and bad pilots). So we figured a max, took 20% off of it, and decided that it's the "AAR" than we can use to shoot for during events. We just have to figure out the different rates for the other runway configs.

Holy crap we're dorks.

MSP Rates:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/Information/west/zmp/msp/frames.htm

Also, I'm very interested in your TGUI you made for MSP! PM me please, I'd like to know more!

The thing is, is we can’t use real world numbers for the network simply because the real world doesn’t have some of the same limitations we do. For instance, they can give 3 instructions in the time it takes us to give 1 just because of voice lag and not being able to understand the controller half the time. Also,we aren’t professional controllers, so our spacing isn’t going to be as perfect as what they can hit in the real world, and not everyone can land on runway 35 in our 30/35 config on the network. So we’re probably going to end up running sweatboxes with arbitrarily increased separatation on final, and come up with our own numbers.
Shane VanHoven
Minneapolis ARTCC
Private pilot, Instrument, ASEL
FAA Air Traffic Control, ORD ATCT

Manuel Manigault

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »
I’m excited to see how this will work in events!
Mani Manigault
Vice President, Americas Region
VATSIM