Guam FNO

Dillon Marshall

• Members
    • View Profile
Guam FNO
« on: June 19, 2018, 03:07:18 PM »

Guam FNO
July 6th, 2018, 2359z-0400z

It's time for a much needed Guam Friday Night Ops event!

HCF will be staffing PGUM on July 6th, 2018, from 2359z to 0400z.  We will be staffing PGUA and PGSN based on controller availability. A pilot brief will be available one week before the event.

We will be partially staffing PHNL (Hawaii) from 1630z until 1830z to provide a window for ATC services for anyone wanting to fly PHNL-PGUM. As well Hong Kong will be staffing up from 1900z until 2100z for departures and for arrivals they will staffing VHHH from 0500z until 0700z

Please update your scenery to ensure everyone has the correct taxiways! This is a real issue at PGUM where taxiway K is not fully extended in FSX default scenery. PLEASE UPDATE!

Recommended Scenery:
PGUM: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=183667
PGSN: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=186695

When flying out of PGUM, please advise Clearance Delivery on initial contact what scenery you are using. Please put it in your remarks as well.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 11:52:12 PM by Dillon Marshall »
Dillon Marshall
Former ZDV DATM, EC, ZJX WM, and HCF EC

Aharon Dayan

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Guam FNO
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 08:42:15 AM »
Would any of you know if there is any international airport with such runway long enough for widebody planes to take off from for nice one hour or 90 minute flight to PGUM Guam international airport, please?

Regards,

Aharon

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »
Would any of you know if there is any international airport with such runway long enough for widebody planes to take off from for nice one hour or 90 minute flight to PGUM Guam international airport, please?

Regards,

Aharon

Ahron,

Those are rare flights out of Guam, considering the location! However, United does fly GUM to YAP, which is supposed to be about 1.7 hours.
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

Aharon Dayan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 06:50:07 PM »
Those are rare flights out of Guam, considering the location! However, United does fly GUM to YAP, which is supposed to be about 1.7 hours.

Thanks, Toby    PTYA (YAP) has 6,000 ft runway therefore not long enough for widebody plane to take off from for flight to Guam for this event.   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Also,  nearby international airport PTKK has 6,000 ft runway too   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Trying to find an airport with enough runway distance for widebody plane to fly 1 hour to 90 minute flight to Guam to participate in this PGUM event

Really want to participate in this HISTORIC PGUM event that is first time in many years in history of Vatsim!  It is very rare to see PGUM event and I do not want to miss it.

Here is interesting thing.  When I studied aviation radar map of island of Guam, there is huge warning red area for northern half of the island of Guam. So I decided to click on red area to see what the warning is.  Here is as seen on link: http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_8_4742.html

I guess I would have to avoid airspace above northern half of island of Guam  :)

Looks like I might have found solution:  PTRO airport with 7,000 ft runway that 767 and 777 can handle with enough fuel for 90 minute flight plus reserve for emergency use or for unexpected circling waiting for turn to approach to and land at PGUM Guam airport in this Vatsim event.

Regards,

Aharon

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:10:52 PM by Aharon Dayan »

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 10:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the information, Aharon.

For reference, we will not be simulating the temporary flight restrictions over Guam for the event on Friday.
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC

Krikor Hajian

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 08:10:19 AM »
Aharon,

It seems you're not reading through the details on the FAA's TFR page. Because there is a TFR does not mean that no aircraft may operate through that area. In this case, the TFR is valid from 2600'-20000'. The restrictions and requirements state;

No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).
Except as specified below and/or unless authorized by ATC:

All aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must be on a discrete code assigned by an air traffic control (ATC) facility.

Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code at all times while in the TFR.

All aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.

So, what this means, is if you wish to operate through the area defined in this TFR at 2600'-FL200, you must be talking to ATC and on a discreet transponder code. So if you're on an IFR flight plan, this is accomplished. If you're VFR, all you need to do is pick up flight following. So even if the TFR were being simulated, it would have a relatively minimal impact on pilots and certainly does not warrant avoiding that area of the island entirely.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Krikor Hajian (HI) - 1283146
Deputy Air Traffic Manager | Instructor
[email protected]
- - - - - - - - - -
VATUSA ACE Team Member

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 09:50:07 AM »
Aharon,

It seems you're not reading through the details on the FAA's TFR page. Because there is a TFR does not mean that no aircraft may operate through that area. In this case, the TFR is valid from 2600'-20000'. The restrictions and requirements state;

No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).

All aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must be on a discrete code assigned by an air traffic control (ATC) facility.

All aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.

So, what this means, is if you wish to operate through the area defined in this TFR at 2600'-FL200, you must be talking to ATC and on a discreet transponder code. So if you're on an IFR flight plan, this is accomplished. If you're VFR, all you need to do is pick up flight following. So even if the TFR were being simulated, it would have a relatively minimal impact on pilots and certainly does not warrant avoiding that area of the island entirely.

To that point, we couldn't effectively simulate the TFR anyhow.  If a VFR target pops up and is doing his thing, I hope nobody is going to wallop him because of a TFR that has no bearing or impact on VATSIM :-)  I'm not entirely sure that it'd be against network rules in the first place.

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »
Aharon,

To that point, we couldn't effectively simulate the TFR anyhow.  If a VFR target pops up and is doing his thing, I hope nobody is going to wallop him because of a TFR that has no bearing or impact on VATSIM :-)  I'm not entirely sure that it'd be against network rules in the first place.

And for that reason, we won’t.
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC

Aharon Dayan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »
Thanks all for FANTASTIC explanations and I shall look forward to PGUM event this Friday night flying 90 minute flight using probably 767 taking from 7,000 ft long runway of PTRO Roman Tmetuchl International Airport also known as Palau International Airport located on Babelthuap (Babeldaob) island in Palau to PGUM .

I am thinking of using Air New Zealand 767.

Regards,

Aharon

Peter Shivery

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 10:07:53 AM »
The event is tonight! Looking forward to seeing everything there :).
Petey Shivery
Controller
Jacksonville ARTCC

Aharon Dayan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
Finished that exciting event last night with two cool circles next to island of Guam.  Too bad the circles was over waters instead of over beautiful landscape of city of Guam.

Many many thanks to all PGUM controllers for cool and awesome event.

Good thing that this event was not advertised on Vatsim forums or otherwise the total number of participating pilots would have been 150 instead of 45 and it would be totally impossible for me to get turn to approach and land.

Here are two amusing things regarding this awesome event:

Surprised to see Brin Brody as TWR of PGUM.  Even called him and asked him if he got lost and was in wrong part of earth considering the fact he was well known controller for Alaska FIR!!!  He laughed and said he was always everywhere.

LOL

Second amusing thing was PGUM ground controller issuing order to me "Find nearest AVL gate".  I got panicked because I had never heard of gate number AVL. I said"  What gate number is that?  I am using Guam version 4 scenery".  Took me few seconds to realize that PGUM ground controller meant to tell me to find available gate!!!  I said "Oh you mean available gate".   Amusing, isn't it when I thought I was supposed to go to gate number AVL?

I am grateful for Guam controllers to introduce me to freeware Guam version 4 that is amazing with serious payware quality for free especially when you approach runway 24R, you can see whole city on right!!

Regards,

Aharon

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 10:45:28 AM »
Surprised to see Brin Brody as TWR of PGUM.  Even called him and asked him if he got lost and was in wrong part of earth considering the fact he was well known controller for Alaska FIR!!!  He laughed and said he was always everywhere.

Toby occasionally steals me...  It happens.  ;D
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Aharon Dayan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 11:47:59 AM »
Attending PGUM event!!