New ZJX F11 SOP

Peter Shivery

• ZJX Staff
    • View Profile
New ZJX F11 SOP
« on: September 19, 2018, 06:43:38 am »
Dear controllers,

The ARTCC Senior Staff is announcing the release of our new F11 SOP (ZJX 10.A). All ZJX TRACON Controllers with their major TRACON endorsement shall adhere to the new document.

You can find the document here: https://www.zjxartcc.org/files/ZJX-10.A%20Jacksonville%20ARTCC%20F11%20SOP.pdf
Petey Shivery
Air Traffic Manager
Jacksonville ARTCC
atm@zjxartcc.org

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
Re: New ZJX F11 SOP
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:02:46 pm »
Nicely put together document.

I do have one concern. Your delegated airspace diagrams show BITHO/LEESE AR owning 50-90 over the final box, and then MINEE/GOOFY AR owning SFC-50 in the same lateral airspace. Similarly, you have SR airspace depicted as SFC-50 in multiple areas with DR airspace directly above it depicted as 50-ABV. Strictly speaking, unless a pre-arranged coordination procedure is outlined, two Radar positions can’t own the same lateral and vertical airspace. To do so would break radar separation.

I had a quick look at the r/w F11 SOP at work, and they show BITHO/LEESE owning 60-90 over the final box, which makes more sense. Thus, the feeders would descend downwind arrivals to 6000 over the final airspace and then hand off to finals who would then work them below that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:47:39 pm by Dhruv Kalra »
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Peter Shivery

• ZJX Staff
    • View Profile
Re: New ZJX F11 SOP
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 01:34:32 pm »
Nicely put together document.

I do have one concern. Your delegated airspace diagrams show BITHO/LEESE AR owning 50-90 over the final box, and then MINEE/GOOFY AR owning SFC-50 in the same lateral airspace. Strictly speaking, unless a pre-arranged coordination procedure is outlined, two Radar positions can’t own the same lateral and vertical airspace. To do so would break radar separation.

I had a quick look at the r/w F11 SOP at work, and they show BITHO/LEESE owning 60-90 over the final box, which makes more sense. Thus, the feeders would descend downwind arrivals to 6000 over the final airspace and then hand off to finals who would then work them below that.

Hey Dhruv! Great call-out. I've written down your feedback to include in the next update. Really appreciate it!
Petey Shivery
Air Traffic Manager
Jacksonville ARTCC
atm@zjxartcc.org