Recent ZNY Accomplishments

Jeremy Peterson

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
Recent ZNY Accomplishments
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:26:54 am »
Over the past year, ZNY has been training and certifying a massive number of students. Our training progression is rigorous and consists of both fundamentals and facility-specific knowledge and when applied to a facility with four major airports, students can find training progression slow and sometimes tiresome. While ZNY's airspace is unique, the skills it requires to control from the Center level are rooted in fundamentals which are best developed early on, but can be learned anywhere in the division, provided active maintenance of that training is performed.

At ZNY, the last two steps before proceeding to Center training are the formidable New York TRACON (N90) over-the-shoulder (OTS) exam and Liberty Departure training. The N90 OTS consists of top-down coverage of N90, live on the network, overseen by an instructor. For context, this mean covering the JFK, EWR, LGA, and ISP areas concurrently from Approach services to Clearance Delivery. ISP has a number of uncontrolled and minor fields with seldom-used procedures; EWR has a complex operation itself, mixed with nearby interactions with TEB, MMU, CDW, and LDJ; LGA has a severely constricted corridor for traffic between JFK and EWR; and JFK is just plain busy. Liberty Departure consists of merging, sequencing, and maintaining efficient throughput for departures originating in N90 and being handed off to ZNY, ZBW, ZDC, or other approach sectors under ZNY, while also managing Liberty Catskill (Approach sector) for Hudson Valley airports. All in all, these two stages of training are often the toughest when it comes to demonstrating a fully-developed consolidation of training.

Amidst these intricacies, ZNY has trained and certified six such controllers (though only five of them remain after the axe), some from the ground up, and others who transferred from other facilities.

• Amin Abrahem - AM joined ZNY in February 2016 but transferred to ZOB where he served multiple staff positions. In March 2019, he transferred back to ZNY and took up the FE role (which he still holds). Including the certs he received in 2016, he took only 84 days to reach S3 and (because of the hiatus to ZOB), took 1,543 days (a little more than four years) to receive his ZNY C1. He is also an Instructor at ZNY.
  • Brandon Humbert - BH joined in January 2018 and quickly progressed through his home facility, PHL. Within 50 days, he earned his S3 and was briefly a mentor for PHL. It has only taken BH 592 days to earn his ZNY C1, a number only beaten by the ZNY TA (481 days) and one other person (407 days). He is one of four controllers in ZNY who have earned center within two years of joining (at least since recordkeeping was changed around 2010).
  • Eriel Martinez - EM joined ZNY in July 2016. Since then, he has been added to the training staff, and progressed his way through all four major facilities, earning his ZNY C1 last July (2019). It has taken EM 1,087 days to earn his ZNY C1, having taken less than 9 months to earn S3. Currently, EM oversees facility operations at LGA (as the Facility Coordinator).
  • Joe Pentz - RP sucks. Okay actually (and joking aside), RP joined ZNY in November 2017 and quickly earned S2 by the end of that year. He started his training at PHL and the facility seems to have a place in his heart because he quickly became the Facility Coordinator of it, overseeing training and operations. He earned his ZNY C1 this February, taking 813 days (just over two years). RP also earned his VATUSA I1 in May. Go follow his Twitch.
  • Prithvi Shivaraman - YJ (we call him "Y-J" or "Prith") joined ZNY all the way back in February 2013, but most of his initial training occurred in 2016. Since earning his S1, it only took him 63 days to earn his ZNY S3 at his home facility, EWR. Since then, it took 1,413 days (almost four years) to earn his ZNY C1 (since joining, it took 2,713 days or about seven and a half years to earn his ZNY C1). It is relatively well known that much of that time between S3 and C1 was dedicated to actively avoiding numerous people's push to "continue training," though I shouldn't be one to talk... Anywho, YJ has served as FE, WM, LGA FC, and probably a few other roles, as he has dedicated considerable work to the ARTCC.

ZNY is absolutely delighted to see the hard work and achievement required by our training progressions pay off. These controllers show both sides of the spectrum: BH showed that ZNY C1 is achievable in under two years if you play your cards right, do your self-studying, engage with other controllers and the training staff, and keep on top of training advancement. YJ has shown that despite bumps in training, real-world commitments that get in the way of training, or even a dip in motivation to train, ZNY C1 is entirely within reach.

Always continue learning, ask questions, remember to coordinate, focus on your goals, and as always, see ya on the scopes!
Jeremy Peterson (HP)
vATCSCC National Operations Manager
nom@vatcscc.org
ZNY Events Coordinator
events@nyartcc.org

Ira Robinson

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Recent ZNY Accomplishments
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 11:37:01 am »
Hi Jeremy.  These are all great accomplishments and it's dedication like this that  makes me proud to be a part of the ZNY family.  In all fairness however, I suggest you double check the number of days it took your ATM to make CTR.  I believe Karl also did it in short order.  While you are at it, please go feed my ego and check the number of days it took me to make CTR.  I think it might surprise you, and maybe even explain why I am such a pain in the arse when it comes to training!

Ira Robinson
VATUSA4

Jeremy Peterson

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Recent ZNY Accomplishments
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 11:57:12 am »
In all fairness however, I suggest you double check the number of days it took your ATM to make CTR.  I believe Karl also did it in short order.  While you are at it, please go feed my ego and check the number of days it took me to make CTR.  I think it might surprise you, and maybe even explain why I am such a pain in the arse when it comes to training!

Ira, all those ZNY records are gone (to me at least). But between your VATUSA S1 and your C1, there were 264 days.

I don’t know Karl’s start date but he earned his ZNY C1 on 20 January 2010.
Jeremy Peterson (HP)
vATCSCC National Operations Manager
nom@vatcscc.org
ZNY Events Coordinator
events@nyartcc.org