University of North Dakota's ATCast

A. Karl Kornel

  • Members
  • 17
    • View Profile
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« on: July 09, 2009, 01:16:43 am »
The UND SATCA has, for some time now, been releasing a set of well-produced videos on Air Traffic Control, entitled ATcast.  These videos cover a range of approach-level (and a few tower-level) aspects of Air Traffic Control.  I've found the following episodes in particular to be very informative:

Radar Identification
Merging Target Procedures
Satellite Airports
Point Outs
ATIS
Overhead Maneuver (although I admit, the production values here aren't as good)

Obviously, these videos do not replace the in-person training that each S3-in-training must receive, but these videos may be a good way of ensuring that information is consistently communicated correctly to controllers.  They're also good for review: I can now, easily, list the six ways of radar-identifying an aircraft, when before ... I could not.

The videos are all in MP4 format, so they can be played in a browser, or downloaded for playback on your computer, and on most video-capable portable devices.  There is also a direct download link for iTunes users.
A. Karl Kornel - vZID FE, Mentor, and C1
[img]http://online.vatsimindicators.net/964857/8295.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Smoke Bomb! POOF

Justin A. Martin

  • Members
  • 139
    • View Profile
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 01:31:17 pm »
These are very superb videos and I show the non-precision approach, radar identification, and communications videos to all of my new radar students. I'd highly recommend these for people who may have trouble grasping minor yet important details of air traffic control. For example, the difference between primary and secondary identification is very well spelled out with many examples in the video.

Good post, Karl.

Justin

Michael Hodge Jr

  • Members
  • 333
    • View Profile
    • http://training.vatusa.net
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:24:47 pm »
Quote from: Justin A. Martin
These are very superb videos and I show the non-precision approach, radar identification, and communications videos to all of my new radar students. I'd highly recommend these for people who may have trouble grasping minor yet important details of air traffic control. For example, the difference between primary and secondary identification is very well spelled out with many examples in the video.

Good post, Karl.

Justin

Yes they are and I can guarantee most of the videos will be in the new VATUSA Training Resource Center as a way of visually teaching some of the more 'complex" aspects of the radar environment. I'm a big fan of pictures and video.

Harold Rutila

  • Members
  • 682
    • View Profile
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:52:38 pm »
Quote from: Michael Hodge Jr
Yes they are and I can guarantee most of the videos will be in the new VATUSA Training Resource Center as a way of visually teaching some of the more 'complex" aspects of the radar environment. I'm a big fan of pictures and video.

Yeah, these are absolutely fantastic resources. We've been using them in ZDV for a while.

Garrett Longtin

  • Members
  • 4
    • View Profile
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 07:36:39 am »
SCORE ONE FOR NORTH DAKOTA! YAY! I'm from ND and am planning to attended UND'S ATC program.  

JOHN MANLEY

  • Members
  • 23
    • View Profile
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 09:44:57 am »
Quote from: A. Karl Kornel
The UND SATCA has, for some time now, been releasing a set of well-produced videos on Air Traffic Control, entitled ATcast.  These videos cover a range of approach-level (and a few tower-level) aspects of Air Traffic Control.  I've found the following episodes in particular to be very informative:

Radar Identification
Merging Target Procedures
Satellite Airports
Point Outs
ATIS
Overhead Maneuver (although I admit, the production values here aren't as good)

Obviously, these videos do not replace the in-person training that each S3-in-training must receive, but these videos may be a good way of ensuring that information is consistently communicated correctly to controllers.  They're also good for review: I can now, easily, list the six ways of radar-identifying an aircraft, when before ... I could not.

The videos are all in MP4 format, so they can be played in a browser, or downloaded for playback on your computer, and on most video-capable portable devices.  There is also a direct download link for iTunes users.

Thank you so much for posting these videos! It has helped me a great ton, as well I let me students know about these..They really help!
John D. Manley
Virtual Fort Worth ARTCC CPC

Curley Bryant

  • Members
  • 14
    • View Profile
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 05:33:19 am »
Thanks Karl!
Curley Bryant
Air Traffic Manager
VATSIM Seattle ARTCC

Ruben Schuckit

  • Members
  • 2
    • View Profile
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 12:40:26 pm »
I've found these to be very helpful, too. At ZTL they show them in the training section.
Ruben
vZTL

Ernesto Alvarez

  • Members
  • 1
    • View Profile
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:11:40 pm »
thanks Karl!  

this is definitely good stuff. ive been lookin for somethin like this for awhile.

William Lewis

  • Members
  • 161
    • View Profile
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 09:25:34 pm »
Karl has been nice to upload these to Drop.io which has allowed us to embed these into our training site. We have most but not all. If anyone would like the Code to embed them yourself feel free to email me TA@vzidartcc.org and i can send that to you. Just advise which video you would like.
Former ZTL Air Traffic Manager
Former ZID Training Admin

Bruce W. Clingan

  • Members
  • 333
    • View Profile
    • http://www.classbravosa.com
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 03:40:43 pm »
Quote from: William A Lewis
Karl has been nice to upload these to Drop.io which has allowed us to embed these into our training site. We have most but not all. If anyone would like the Code to embed them yourself feel free to email me TA@vzidartcc.org and i can send that to you. Just advise which video you would like.


I will advise that vZID contacted UND for permission to embed them in our website, anyone wishing to do the same should probably contact them also.  They were very helpful when I contacted them.
Bruce W. Clingan
vZID Air Traffic Manager

"Facts are stubborn things." Ronald Reagan
               
               

Michael Hodge Jr

  • Members
  • 333
    • View Profile
    • http://training.vatusa.net
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 04:24:23 pm »
Quote from: Bruce W. Clingan
I will advise that vZID contacted UND for permission to embed them in our website, anyone wishing to do the same should probably contact them also.  They were very helpful when I contacted them.

Yep. When I contacted them for permission to use in the TRC they were more than willing to let me use the videos so long as I gave credit.

Jonathan Devine

  • Members
  • 11
    • View Profile
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 09:52:59 am »
All the links are dead now.  
Jonathan Devine (DJ) - ZDC Events Director
VID: 1074915
You want the clearance? You can't handle the clearance!

Owen Catherwood

  • ZSE Staff
  • 12
    • View Profile
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 12:12:51 am »
Quote from: Jonathan Devine
All the links are dead now.  

All of the episodes are still available via iTunes.

*edit* The main web download link has moved to here
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:16:11 am by Owen Catherwood »
ZSE Facilities Administrator and Senior Controller
Cascade Virtual Pilots Association Member
Glacier Aviation FSEconomy group member

Andrew Morkunas

  • ZOB Staff
  • 14
    • View Profile
    • Cleveland Center
University of North Dakota's ATCast
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 10:03:32 am »
As of May 30, 2014 the latest location of the videos can be found here:

http://www.undsatca.com/videos/

MN
Andrew Morkunas
Cleveland Deputy Air Traffic Manager
VATSIM Supervisor