What Do I Want to Learn Next?

Derek Vento

• Members
    • View Profile
What Do I Want to Learn Next?
« on: July 27, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
So at this point in your time on VATSIM, you're early just starting out or have a decent foundation to understand that the goal is "work the airplanes". Let me say this...It's more than just working the airplanes. My manager and I at work speak about this concept all the time. The concept behind air traffic goes further than that! As most know, this is not just a hobby for me, it's something I am very passionate about. So if you wonder why some of us are so engaged and are intrigued, there is a reason. If anyone knows one of my favorite sayings it's "Aviation is a profession of professionals". Remember, there is a reason you sign online. It may be for fun, or to test out a possible future career, but note that there is always going to be a sense of professionalism behind it all.

I bring this topic up because I want you to ask yourself two questions "What do you want out of this "game"?" and "What is your next step?"

I ask this because I think you should have a goal in mind when you sign on. Each time, there should be something new you want to learn. Whether it's how to bring more confidence in your voice on the frequency, better decision making or improve your working speed. Don't just think because you have the certification you are the best thing that happened to VATSIM. As a real world controller, I learn new techniques every single time I plug in. I also don't take offense when one of my coworkers points out that I could have made the sequence work this way or that way. Be open minded, and know that it is okay to be critiqued. This is air traffic control not a class on how to bake cookies. It is fun and exciting but do not plateau! Do not be scared to say, "Hey, although I am certified on this position, how do I do this? What am I missing? Is there a way I can expedite the flow of traffic? Can we do a sweatbox on sequencing?". DO NOT be complacent.

Keep learning!
Derek Vento
Air Traffic Controller Atlanta TRACON
Host of The Traffic Pattern Podcast

William Guisbond

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: What Do I Want to Learn Next?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 12:52:43 PM »
Great read Derek. I think it's definitely an interesting point you bring up, but I can totally stand behind striving to learn something every time you log on. The world of Air Traffic Control is HUGE, and by dedicating yourself to a study of knowledge in a fun environment like this, it will make you a better control in the long run on so many levels.

Will Guisbond (1350891)
S3 | ATC Mentor

Brandon Barrett

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
Agree Derek

Every C1 I promote I tell them that it's only the begin. At that point they understand the basic fundamentals from DEL up; creating good habits applying themselves, and taking what they learned outside of a training session to the scope will come with time. As good as some of us are we all have weak spots and things to improve on.   
Brandon Barrett
Division Director
VATSIM Supervisor

Shane VanHoven

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 04:06:43 PM »
Great points Derek. I love when you contribute to this forum because I feel like I have a similar level of passion and dedication to bettering myself that you have. While I still aspire to make it to a real world facility (getting closer and closer ever day), I think just that attitude alone will help me be successful and I cannot wait to bring it into the real world.

Have you ever crossed "the line" between virtual and reality since you've been at work? I feel like it's always a very touchy subject, and I'd love to hear what you have to say about it, whether or not you've brought up the world of VATSIM to your co-workers.

Shane VanHoven
Minneapolis ARTCC
Private pilot, Instrument, ASEL
FAA Air Traffic Control, ORD ATCT